Tuesday, April 1, 2014

march 31, part 2

Sorry, guys. couldn't post last night. no signal. but here's HOW YESTERDAY WENT. FIRSt of all, I look like a reverse raccoon. the bottom of my face is all tan and where my glasses are is all white. It was overcast yesterday so not to hot until about 2 p.m. The surface of the road is "chip and seal", which means they dump some gravel on it and pour some tar over it. It's nasty to ride on because it shakes your liver right out of you. But I passed some wonderful patches of clover which smelled wonderful. Also passed some ranches where they import exotic wild game and then charge hunter to come in and hunt it. Sounds perverse. After 42 miles we got to Bracketville, whee we had lunch at a little Mexican restaurant before me went up to the motel. The poor lady was really overwhelmed to see so many people at one time so it took her some time to get our orders straight, but the food was good and we had a good time. Then we road into Fort Clark, where the motel is located in an old barracks. The camp is not owned by a gated community association and many of the building are preserved.I saw there was a museum, but it was closed. I got the number of the curator and gave him a call. He sent Mel Green over to open it for us. 5 of us went in and Mel gave us a pleasant tour. Then I rode around the area and looked at the lovely old buildings. There's also a nice natural spring-fed pool, which I didn't get time to use. After sightseeing, we went to dinner at the golf club, then we all went over to Bubba's ice cream social. It was really fun talking with the cyclists we had been passing and who had been passing us the last couple of days. When we got back to the room, good not post this to save my soul because the WIFI signal is week. So now I'm sitting in the Camp Wood Library, 50 miles down the road, using the library's computer. Necessity is the mother of invention.______________Ft. Clark ist sehr historisch und interessant. Die Gebaueden sind wunderhuebsch. Geeneral Patton hat hier gedient. Die Strassenoberflaechen sind verherrend. Grobe Kieselsteine mit Teer drueber gegossen. Oweia!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment