Saturday, April 12, 2014

April 12, part 2.

Even though it was 77 miles today, it was an enjoyable day. I only got chased by one dog (still in Texas), Lynn got chased by 5 at once. Tina had for flats before 11:15. I kept checking the ditches and bayous in Louisiana for snakes, but all I found was a humongous turtle. IT was so nice that it was overcast, because at 11 it was already 72 degrees. If the sun had been shining the whole way, I would have died. As it was, I got the bejeebers scared out of me. I was about 6 miles from the motel. All of a sudden, I see a lot of colorful shirts and police cars with lights flashing up ahead of me. My first thought was that one of us had been hit. When I got closer, I realized it was a pre-Palm Sunday religious procession. (Don't say one word, Joan!) I rode around the police cars and got on my way. I stopped quickly at McDonald's for a milkshake because I hadn't had any lunch and a young man came up to me and asked me if I was from Iceland. He had seen my flag of the Aland Islands on my backpack and thought he had recognized it. I talked to him for a few minutes about our trip. It's just so nice to talk to people in general. 95% of all the people we've met so far are genuinely interested in the ride and have lots of questions about it. There are always a couple of idiots who will yell at you to get off the road, or gun their motor right in front of you. But these people are really in the minority. What surprised me today after crossing the state line was that, in the part of East Texas that we left, there seemed to be more poverty than in neighboring Louisiana. As soon as we crossed the border there were some lovely brick houses, some of which were up on blocks. This is a definite hurricane region (I took pictures of the "evacuation route" sign.) and I can't imagine that anyone would build a cellar under his house here.After supper I was looking for postcards. I had to walk two miles down and back to Walmart, and all they had was New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Oh well, it's from Louisiana. Lake Charles (the actual lake) is bordered by three chemical plants, I heard. It doesn't seem to be much of a resort area. So, now I will write my postcards and then go to bed. It's 83 miles tomorrow.--------------War Heute 77 Meilen, aber nicht unangenehm. Alles ziemlich flach und viele Luftfeuchtigkeit, aber der Himmel blieb bedeckt und die Temperaturen waren angenehm zu fahren. Diese Region ist sehr katholish gepraegt und es gab schon Heute Palmsonntagsprozessionen. Da in den Bayous das Wasser sehr hoch ist, suche ich immer nach Schlangen. Bis jetzt aber, habe ich nur eine Schildkroete gesehen. Ein Hund war Heute hinter mir her, aber hinter Lynn waren 5 auf einmal und Tina hat 4 Platten in den ersten 3 Stunden. Jetzt schreibe ich meine Ansichtskarten, dann gehe ich schlaffen.

No comments:

Post a Comment