Monday, April 14, 2014

April 14, part 2

Ok, guys. another lower case day. this was not a day for the faint-hearted. the good news was that the rain predictedfor the day did not materialize. so I started out and it was mostly a lovely ride. getting out of the city was a pain in the rear, but the countryside was truly lovely.we staRTED at 7:45 and we all really moved along. we hadfavorable winds and they were very light. by 1 pm I had done 65 miles. but about 13 of those were on a highway which went over the bridge in part 1 and then a 3.5 mile causeway (a flat bridge over land that can be flooded in case of a storm) with NO shoulder. the SAG had to turn on its blinkers and follow us over in groups. lynn, ellen, sheila and I were the last group. we kept steady at 14 mph and were glad when it was over. we got into another very attractive area again, but when I got to the SAG 65 miles, I decided I would rather bump into town and go sightseeing. I didn't really want to ride 30 more miles down a busy highway just to say I had done it. part of the group is staying aT AN INN AND I AM STAYING at a b&b on an old plantation. I stopped at the inn, picked up helen, and we went to explore the town. the historical society has a great museum and the town has a very interesting history. among other things, there is a temple and a jewish cemetery. just as we were exploring, we saw a camper with german license plates. they were from baveria. didn't talk long, but saw them several times in town. then the thunder started. so helen went back to her inn and I had to scoot 3 miles out of town to my b&b. I just made it before it started to pour. and its still raining! but tomorrow it's supposed to be cooler and dry. a great day for sightseeing.many of the woman were so glad that they rode the 96 miles that they rode around parking lots a few timesto make I an even 100. they didn't even stop for the rain. that what I call real dedication. nice job. the b&b is lovely but I'm on a fold away cot on the middle floor of a windmill-type building.hope I sleep well. meeting some others tomorrow at 9 to explore. should be a nice day.________________st. francisville ist wunderhuebsch und hat eine lange geschichte. bin 65 meilen anstatt die 96 heute gefahren. hat wenig lust, nur auf grosse strassen zu fahren. wollte lieber die kleinstadt sehen. wirklich wunderbar. haben spaetnachmittag ein gewitter gehabt. Bis dahin war Iich schon Im b&b auf dem plantation. morgen tun wir die gegend erkuendigen. soll trocken und kuehl sein.

No comments:

Post a Comment