Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 29, part 1

Hi, guys. This was a bittersweet day. We started at 7:30 a.m. and it was as if we were racing the rainstorm to the coast. It stayed overcast the whole hot, muggy morning. But it was a little scary because I had become complacent, thinking that the trip was almost over. So I wasn't paying attention and almost rode into the ditch. Since we were still on a pretty busy road with lots of truck traffic, I thought I should renew my concentration and watch what I'm doing until the ride is really over on Thursday. At 10:30 a.m. Lynn and I stopped for a cup of coffee and pie in Mayo. It was a nice little café and the people were friendly as usual. Then we kept on trucking to Ichetucknee Springs State Park. The pools were lovely. Sheila was smart and had her bathing suit with her. I just jumped in with my biking stuff on. It was lovely. Everyone had been there and was on their way again except Lynn and me. Nancy was driving the SAG wagon and was waiting there for awhile. I met some young people from France who also jumped in fully clothed after I did. After Lynn and I got out, The sky really darkened, the wind picked up and it started to thunder. I had wanted to ride all the way to the end today, but thought the better of it because of the oncoming storm. After we got in to the motel, it really started to pour, so on the one hand it was a wise decision on my part (Even though I was already wet from the swim, the winds had picked up and it had gotten colder.), on the other hand, I had wanted to ride every mile today. But after everyone got it, it stopped raining and some of us went over to the diner across the street. Great 50s atmosphere, good food, great root beer floats. After that I decided to see what was in town. I peeked into the door of the closed museum and, wonder of wonders, someone was there and let me in. High Springs used to be a major railway hub. Across the street I found the library, where I am sitting now to write the blog without using my thumbs on my iphone. Too bad I couldn't get all my miles in today, but it was worth it to see the town. Tomorrow is another 73 miles.______________Immer wieder bewoelkt heute. Es war als ob wir mit dem Sturm ein Wettrennen machen. Der Sturm hat schliesslich gewonnen. Lynn und ich hielten fuer Kaffee und Pie an, dann fuhren wir zu eine Quelle mit ganz sauberem Wasser. Ich bin voll gekleidet eingesprungen. Aber gleich danach, fingen der Donner und Blitz an. Gott sei Dank, war das SAG Auto noch dar. Es hat uns mitgenommen. Gleich nachdem wir ankamen, fing das Regen an. Einige sind nass geworden. Ich war auch noch vom Schwimmen nass, nur jetzt war es kalt und winding. Als es aufgehoert hat, gingen einige von uns essen. Dann besuchte ich die Stadt, wo der Mann im Museum fuer mich auf gemacht hat. Jetzt sitze ich in der Bibliothek, um mein Blog zu schreiben. Ich liebe die Bibliotheken in den am. Kleinstaedte. Morgen soll is 73 Meilen geben. War nur ein bisschen traurig, dass ich den ganzen Weg heute nicht gefahren bin. Aber dafuer habe ich die schoene Stadt geshen.

No comments:

Post a Comment