Sunday, April 20, 2014

April 20, part 2

OK, Guys. what a great day this was. it was an easy, sunny 40 mile ride from pascagoula, mississippi to dauphin island, alabama where we arrived early and will also have our layover day tomorrow. the route took us through bayou la batre where karen c., tanya and I discovered the sugar rush donut shop. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.whenwe left the shop I noticed the american flag across the road was flying at half-mast. when I asked a resident why, he replied that it was because Pres. Obama had been re-elected in 2012. It was time to move on to the island! to get to the island you have to cross a 3.5-mile causeway/bridge. the causeway is long and flat, then the bridge rises like a big hill in the middle. the closer I got the more nervous and dizzier I got. when I finally got to the hill part, I had to get off and walk it up AND down. and all the time these beautiful pelicans are sailing by me! a tailwind was blowing, the abutment was low and I picture myself going head first into the gulf of mexico. sheila, janine, joyce and helen came up to me as I was almost to the flat part and sheila walked the rest of the way down with me. It was nice to have company. we are staying at a condo with 5 to a suite. nice setup. have to have a code to get in the gate! first I went back into town and bought post cards. then came back to pick up helen and we went out for lunch. mary-slade came in later and joined us.we met a couple at the restaurant who were birdwatchers. we had a really interesting conversation with them. as we were talking, dolphins swam by in the gulf! after lunch I met sunnye on the beach at 3. we had composed a silly song about the trip the night before. When we got done practicing, connie came along and we took a long walk on the beach where the cranes let us get within 10 feet of them to take pictures. after the walk it was soon time for dinner, after which sunnye and I performed our song.we got lots of laughs and applause. so I'm just closing out the day with my blog. tomorrow I will visit ft. gaines and the estuarium. it will be another good day.__________Es war wieder ein toller tag. war eine kurze fahrt. als ich die hoohe bruecke geshen habe, habe ich schiss bekommen und habe mein rad hoch und runter gedruckt. wir haben pelikane, delfine und kraniche gesehen. die straende haben weisen sand und das wetter ist herrlich. Morgen gibt es viel historisches un interessantes zu shen. Dann uebermorgen nach florida.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! You've certainly been having loads of adventures! We were so glad to hear that the re-shirted mean guy on his front porch was such a poor shot. Did he have a rifle? Shotgun? What a creap! And we were also glad you didn't start arguing politics with that resident who must not have been a fan of the President of the United States. But maybe the most amazing thing to me is that you actually ATE those nasty crawfish! I got really sick one time sitting at a long picnic table outside in Louisiana watching the locals eating those red sauce-covered, slipperly crawfish, biting their tails off and then sucking their insides right out, into their mouths and down the hatch. You're one tough trooper, Karen! You go, girl! We're pulling for you all the way! Welcome to Alabama -- my mother's home state (where she grew up, although she was born in Georgia.)
    Love,
    Jim and Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And Karen! Moriah has finished her 2-week Spring Training Camp and has returned a very respectful and obedient dog. She has made a real turn-around! Ta-
    daaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ride over the bridge reminded me of when my daughter (Carrie) and I rode over the bridge at Sioux St Marie and rode in Canada for a day. There's a real nice float plane museum there. That bridge is real high to let the freighters pass under it.
    Later in that week long ride we rode over to White Fish Point on Lake Superior where the Edmond Fitzgerald went down back in the late 70"s - really a cool place to visit.
    Leroy

    ReplyDelete