Thursday, March 27, 2014

March 27

McDonald Observatory. Whoa, Nelly! 11 of us went up to the McDonald Observatory today to learn about the telescopes. It was really fascinating and we watched some live action shots of the sun. And where do you think the lens for the big telescope was made? CORNING, NY!!! Yes, folks, right in our own back yard. Of course I had to brag to the others that I had been there. But back to the beginning. I had a great breakfast today of pancakes and sausage after a good night's sleep. I didn't get up until 7:45. We left for the Observatory at 10 and weren't back until about 3. It was a neat morning. Then I cleaned my bike for tomorrow's 60-mile ride. I learned yesterday that Indian Lodge here in Ft. Davis is more than a mile high and learned today that the Observatory is up at almost 7,000 feet. I was wondering why I was huffing and puffing while trying to get up the stairs here. That also may have been part of the problem with my ride yesterday (besides the wind). Then I hung out at the pool for a little bit after cleaning the bike. After that NAncy hosted an impromtu wine and cheese party where we had a lot of laughs before we went to supper. Now I've got to go back to my room and repack my suitcase and get ready for tomorrow's ride. This was a great place to have a day off. My camera has given up the ghost. The next Wal-Mart I find, I'm going to have to go in a get another one. I'm taking lots of pictures on my cell phone, which is great, because those are the ones I can upload to the blog. But I want to get a camera again, too, for some different shots. Was a nice day. I enjoyed not sitting on the bike. I'm going to have to do some stretches tommorw before I start riding again.______________Wir haben McDonald Observatory besucht. War hoch interessant. Besonders interessant war, das die Linse des Teleskops in Corning, NY,die nicht weit von Rochester ist, gemacht worden war. Das Observatory is 7,000 Fuss hoch and es war wirklich kalt daoben, trotz Sonnenschein. Es war eine tolle Vorfuhrung und wir waren erst um 15 Uhr zurueck. Dann habe ich Fahrrad geputzt und mich neben dem Schwimmbad ausgeruht bevor wir ein Wein-und-Kaese Party gemacht haben. Dann gab's Abendessen (Forella!!!!!), jetzt gibt's bloggen, dann Kofferpacken und mich fuer Morgen fertigmachen. War ein toller Tag.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! You were at this observatory? Cool! Jenna & I are enjoying so much following your travels, oh so many miles uphill (or up mountains), into headwinds, through crosswinds, sun and more sun, cold here and there. We were so glad whenever we read that you and someone decided you'd pedaled enough for one day and hopped in the SAG van to enjoy a different kind of ride for a while. We got the postcard from El Paso today -- thank you. We've loved looking at your pics. Keep healthy. Texas is a "wide-assed" state to cross. : ) Have fun! Jim&Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. was at the McDonald Observatory years ago - beautiful place and beautiful part of TX.
    Leroy

    ReplyDelete