Tuesday, March 18, 2014

MARCH 18, part 2

OK, guys. so this is how the day went. we nwere one US 70 again but when it branched off from the 19, there was hardly any traffic. the surface was great and we had a tailwinf most of the day. what more could anybody ask for. thefirstg 20 miles were strenuousbut the last 55 were great. I was really buzzing up the hills. did I mention that wepark our bikes right In our rooms at night? I've now started drinking cans of V-8 juice at our SAG stops.it tastes great and gives me lots of energy for the next 20 miles. not much to see today except for long straight roads and lots of desert. there was one little town called Duncan after about 40 miles. not much more than a visitor's center and a bakery. the visitor's center had a clean restroom and the bakery had great little hand pies. we all took a break there. coming into Duncan I already heard this yippy little dog gettinng closer and the owner calling it back.it didn't work. I just started pusjing on the pedals and outran the stupid thing. he had the sprint, I had the endurance. if I had reacted quickly enough I could have squirted him with my water bottle.m I'll have to work on my relective instincts. otherwise it was an uneventful 75 mile day. tomorow we cross the continental divide.wait, wait.Iforgot to tell you about the torns. we see the NM STATE SIGN SO WE ALL WANT OUR PICture taking under Iit. I push my bike over, helen snaps the picture and walk away with a branch fll of thornsn sticking out of my shoe. had toget my jackkife out to get it out. The thorn was about an iinch long. then I checked my bike tire and nthere was a thorn stuck in it! was able to pull it out and didn't have a flat all day. so I was very lucky.______________________war wieder ein guter tag. 75 meilen, meist mit rueckenwind. ein traum. viele wueste,.wenige nsiedlungen. die eine nsiedlung hat aber eine toilette und eine baeckerie. beide ganz toll. ein hund lief mir vor der baeckerei nach. ich musste wirklich in die pedale treten, um von ihm weg zu kommen. morgen kreuzen wir ueber den continentale wasserscheide. dann ein tag ruhe. will wieder eine alte indianer siedlung besuchen. ich merke, ich wird immer sgtaerker.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog every morning Karen! Thanks so much for all the details and the time you take to keep us updated on your trip.

    ReplyDelete