Thursday, March 20, 2014

March 20, part 2

So this was our day of rest. Sandy, Helen and I had rented a car to go to see the Gila Cave Dwellings 2 hours away. While waiting for the ladies to come down, I googled the site and saw that they were doing some logging work. I called to make sure they would be open. The park ranger assured me that there would only be 15 min. delays. The ride up there was absolutely spectacular. A herd of mule deer even stood by the side of the road and let us take their pictures. We got there at 11 and the ranger there told us we couldn't get in until 2! (Kevin, I could have used my National PArks Pass to get in.) We couldn't wait that long so we went down another side road from which we could walk up to one of the dwellings. Then we drove back by another route, which happens to coincide with the route we are riding out of Silver City tomorrow. I've already decided that I will not ride the whole way. I'm just not a fan of millions of hills. I will catch a SAG ride to the second stop, which is right before Emery Pass (8235 feet).Then I will ride up that one hill and the 8 miles down the pass to the hotel. When we got back from the cave dwellings, we went to lunch at the Little Toad Creek Brewery again. Had the burger and it was great. Then I came back to the hotel where we did a bike changing workshop. I've changed tires before, but it's always good to get new tips. In any case, it was a good thing I did, because my back tire had a slow leak and had lost all its air overnight again (for the second time)! So I decided to put a new tube in. Finished it and didn't like how I had adjusted the brake but didn't want to mess with it any longer, so Jane and I rode down to the bike shop. I got talking with the guy, and it turns out he is from Medina, NY. He was familiar with the B&B we always use there on our bike trips. Had a really nice conversation and checked my bike seat position for me. It was just where it should be. I asked him why I was having such a hard time with the hills, and he said that the elevation plays a large role. Since we're now at 5900 feet and will be going up to 8235 feet, I didn't feel so bad anymore. Would be nice if I could make it the whole way, but I know I wouldn't enjoy my day if I tried. And I'm here to enjoy what I'm doing.----------------------Obwohl ich extra vorher angerufen habe, um zu sichern, dass die Felsensiedlung auf war, haben die uns gesagt dass es bis 14 Uhr zu bleiben wuerde, wegen Holarbeit. Die Fahrt dahin war spektakulaer und wir haben ein kleines Teil der Siedlung gesehen, so die Fahrt was sicherlich nicht um sonst. Bei der Rueckfahrt sind wir auf die selbe Route gefahren, die wir morgen mit den Raedern machen wollen. Manometer. Ich weiss schon, dass ich nicht alles machen wird. Klettern macht mir einfach nicht genug Spass. Ausserdem, ein junger MAnn im Fahrradgeschaeft hat auch zu denken gegeben, dass bei diesen Hoehen, ist es viel schwerer zu klettern als beim Meerespiegel. Dass hat mein Selbstvertrauen ein bisschen geholfen. Habe auch heute mein hintere Reife gewechselt. Die Luft ist ueber 2 Tage langsam ausgelaufen und heute frueh was die Reife total platt. Naja, so war mein Ruhetag gelaufen. Morgen geht's wieder los.

No comments:

Post a Comment