Saturday, July 14, 2018

The rest of the week

So, I’ve been good about calling for jury duty all week. Yesterday I learned that I was excused, so I did my service. I still would have liked to been called in to see what it was all about. Wednesday evening I went to a jazz concert in Greece with the Humphrey House bunch and it was very pleasant. And the nicest surprise was that Eric Metzgar was the drummer for the group. He said he’s got a job teaching down in NYC now and will be leaving next month to find s place to stay. Good for him. and I watched the England-Croatia game in the morning. I’m happy with the results. Can’t wait to see the final tomorrow. Thursday I figured I’d better water the graves at the cemetery. Mary Ellen went along and we went shopping afterwards. I found a few things because I desperately needed some different clothes. But we still plan a trip to the outlet mall in Waterloo in a couple of weeks. Some of my old stuff I will just leave in my storage unit. I went down to the Unity Ride in the evening. There were about 35 of us again. And no rain. This is always a fun ride because all the kids in the neighborhood run out to the street and wave to us when they see so many people on bikes. and before I went downtown, I went over to a lady’s house where there had beeen a garage sale the previous week. She had some bike racks to put on cars for very cheap. Of course, not one of the four fit my Mini. Yesterday Mary Ellen and I went to breakfast with Nathalie. That’s always a fun conversation. Then I came back and pulled some weeds again before I studied and read. Then Mary ElLen had to go get her new tires at Costco so I went along. While the guys were working, we walked over to REI and looked around. we even checked out different bike rack catalogues and there is absolutely no bike rack which fits a Mini Cooper. Bummer. We came home and went swimming at the neighbor’s. That was refreshing. This morning I got up early and went to R Community Bikes. I patched inner tubes for 4 hours and then helped Ellen in front for another half hour. As long as I’m home on vacation, I’ll go down on Wednesdays too. There’s a lot of paperwork involved with putting all the bike giveaways in the system and Ellen needs a hand with it. Then I drove around the corner to the “know Your Bike Rights” event. That was a total dud. They had food and a couple of people doing bike repairs. When I asked when they were going to discuss the rights of cyclists, all he said was they had a little flyer about it. I had been expecting a little more than that. Tomorrow morning I want to be on the Canal at 7. A bunch of us are trying to help a Boy Scout get his Eagle badge and he has to ride 50 miles. Apparently he hasn’t had much practice, so we are all going along to encourage him. This same group of people wants to ride from Buffalo to Albany from August 15-19. That’s going to be a toughy because it will be more than 60 miles a day. But I’m going to go along. I’m getting excited about it already. After I get back from tomorrow’s ride, Mary Ellen and I will hop down to the Corn Hill art festival. I’ve asked her to tape the World Cup final for me because I really want to see it. Later tonight, I’m going to watch the match for 3rd and 4th place which she taped for me today. I hope I won’t be too exhausted to watch it tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment