Sunday, December 30, 2018

The “ride” to Vytina

I had gotten everything packed last night and was down at breakfast at 7:30 a.m. with my suitcase because the driver was going to pick we up at 8. It was overcast and the plan had been for me to ride part way with the driver, then have him let me out about 6 miles before town because there was NOO WAY I was gonna no to make it up that mountain on a bike in the allotted time. And OMG, was that mountain steep. And of course it started to rain hard. So I just thought, screw it, and told the driver to drive me directly to the hotel in Vytina. It’s a rely beautiful little town, population about 300. Naturally they weren’t expecting me that early, so I got my warm jacket out of my suitcase and decided to go hiking along one of the many hiking trails they have here. The nice receptionist recommended the green trail, about a four-hour hike. The rain had stopped and the distance sounded OK to me, so I went for it. I checked the trail signs going out of town and the green trail was labeled “family-friendly”. It neglected to say family of mountain goats. Holy crap. Steep ups and downs, narrow paths, loose stones, ice on the paths. Once I went in the wrong direction and had to backtrack before I found the green trail markers again. And of course, I had a couple of rain showers  along the way. But I made it back all in one piece, my room was ready and I immediately feel into bed for a nap. After I woke up, I wandered around town for a little bit and then ate a pizza at the restaurant right next to the hotel. The young waitress spoke good English and we had a pleasant conversation. Now I’m in for the night and I’m sure to sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment