Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The cold Christmas Day

Don't know why those previous pictures got so big. You’re just going to have to deal with them because I have no idea how to fix them.
Guess what song was playing in the elevator when I came down from breakfast. “Baby it’s Cold Outside”. It reminded me of the controversy about it in the States at the moment, it it was, in fact, cold AND RAINY outside.
After two beautifully warm and sunny days in Athens, today was in the low 40s. I felt colder here than I do in Kazan! So I took one of those “city bus” tours, figuring I’d be out of the wet. They offered three tours, city, Piraeus and riviera. You could do all three by hopping onto different busses at different stops, so I did. After half the city and Piraeus, the riviera bus didn’t come for two hours, so I ran back to the hotel, put on extra socks, my winter boots and a warmer jacket, although I already had 4 layers on. The bus was none too warm. I got back to the bus stop and still had plenty of time so I decided to hike up the hill of muses. I heard someone calling to me and it was a lady from Hong Kong who wanted to know if I wanted to walk with her.  She was also waiting for her bus. She was very pleasant and we spent a nice two hours together before we parted ways. We went to a Fresca Yoghurt shop to get some coffee and they also had spanakopita. I couldn’t resist and it tasted great.
I hopped on my riviera bus and it was freezing. I had to put my hood up. Rain was still coming down , but you really got an impression of the exclusivity of this area. Lots of beaches and bars, of course, and lots of sports venues left over from the Olympics.   
Got back into town and changed buses to finish the city tour. The heated downstairs was all occupied, so I had to sit on the open upper deck. Yikes. Good thing we were in the city and didn’t hit an great speeds. 
I got back the hotel and jumped into bed just to warm up. Then I went out and had an eggplant stuffed with seafood. Oh my god, it was luxurious! One more day here, then the bike tour starts Thursday. The sun is supposed to be out again tomorrow. I hope so!

Tomorrow will be the chairlift up the highest mountain in Athens and maybe the market place. Then I’d better get my suitcase packed and get everything prepared for the trip.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment