Monday, December 24, 2018

Another busy day

This morning I ate up on our rooftop cafe again. I always sit at the table where I can view the Acropolis. I checked out the balcony of the cafe and noticed an extremely high mountain with a church on top. After questioning the waitress about it, it turns out there’s a funicular running up to the church on the top of the mountain. In fact, the waitress was able to give me more information about it than the hotel receptionist or the people at the tourist office. Many Greeks I’m meeting here seem more reluctant to answer questions or give information. In any case, I’m going to take the funicular up to the top of the mountain on Wednesday.
After breakfast I first walked to the shop to get a new battery for my watch. lo and behold, the battery’s not the problem. The watch is broken. I’ll have to rely on my phone then.  Then I walked down to the Jewish Museum. It was very well-done and underscored the role many Greek Christians played in saving Jews lives during the Nazi period. After the Museum, I walked up to Syntagma Square where a great concert was going on. It was a female singer with four instrumentalists and the were very good. I listened for almost an hour before I walked across the square to the Parliament building and got there just as the guards had changed and the first ones were walking away in their little tutus and fuzzy shoes. I’ll post a picture after this.  Then a folk dance group started performing so I watched them for awhile. Across the street were some demonstrators, but for the life of me, I couldn’t tell whether they wanted to keep immigrants out of Europe or if they wanted Europe to take more immigrants in. The guy was speaking in English and I STILL didn’t understand what he wanted!  Then I walked down the pedestrian zone for a bit, but decided I should head back to the Acropolis Museum before it closed, because I knew it wouldn’t be open tomorrow or the day after. I got there at 2:10 and when they told me that they would close at 3 today, I figured my time would be better spent out in the sunshine anyway.
So I headed for the cemetery. Holy moly, this cemetery makes Mt. Hope look like a pauper’s graveyard. The monuments are gigantic and always out of white stone. It just seems fitting for a city that has so many other monuments. I was talking with a gardener there and he was telling me it covers a large, large area, with one stone right next to the other. I’ll post some pictures of that too.
It was 4:30 now and I had skipped lunch, so I wandered away from the tourist area to find a nice restaurant. I find a very good one and ordered the feta cheese covered I n sharp red pepper and some pork cooked in a white wine sauce with spices. Both were delicious.
 Now I’m in for the night. After I finish writing this, I will start studying my cycling material. Tomorrow I’m going to take one of those city bus tours and go all the way down to Piraeus. Nothing will be open tomorrow so it will be a good way to sightsee and get an overall view of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment