Monday, November 5, 2018

My busy day

I’m still fighting with the time difference so first woke up at 4. I managed to fall back asleep until 6:30, which was acceptable. I ate a banana and puttered around before working up the street to the bus stop. I got the 8:05 bus and was glad that I was on of the first stops, because that bus fills up might fast on a Monday morning. The buses here also have conductors who collect the money, just like in Kazan. And they’re all double-deckers. It is fun to go up top and see a bit more. I find a great restaurant called The Market, which served that lovely breakfast I already posted a picture of. I was the only customer. The place was gigantic and I sat in a great big booth. There was a bar in there that had to be 30 feet long and it had beautiful wooden floors. And the workmen were in there fixing some of the furniture while I was eating. One of the guys was even whistling songs from The Wizard of Oz”! After breakfast, I discovered a bookstore which had lots of good stuff and bought a book by Scotland’s comedian Billy Connelly. Paul, the colleague from Ireland was telling me about him, and I’m glad he did. I’m enjoying the book. After the bookstore I went to the new V&A Design Museum. The building itself is very cleverly conducted to look like a ship. The exhibits were not anything to write home about. So I cut that visit a little short and went right next door to the Discovery Museum. This was a ship which went on several Antarctic Expeditions. When I was in Ireland a couple of years ago, I was in a town where one of the seamen from the Discovery was born. It was exciting to make the connection. I paid my entry fee and knew that I wouldn’t have as much time as I liked to look around. All of a sudden , the cashier asked me if I would be back within a year. He would give me a card which was good for free admission within a year! Perfect! I’m going to spend the whole day in Dundee on Wednesday doing nothing but sightseeing. That will be my golden opportunity.
After I went all through the ship, I walked up to the conference center where we were to meet for the bike ride. There was quite a crowd gathered. They were also offering walking tours and many people were participating. We had to sign in, sign waivers, and get our bikes. When we finally got going, it was 1 and it gets dark a 4:30! There was have been between 25 and 30 of us on our tour. And we went all the way out to the town where I am staying, Carnoustie. It’s about 12 miles one way. Of course we stopped frequently on the way out to listen to different pieces of information. When we stopped at Carnoustie, we took a break at a cafe. I met some very nice people and we got some great conversations going. But then we had to scoot back because it was getting dark. And wouldn’t you know it, two people had flat tires on the way back. It was dark when we got in. Although it was perfect riding weather and the path is relatively flat, I was beat because I hadn’t eaten any lunch since we were supposed to meet at 12 and I had eaten such a big breakfast.  So on the trip out, one of the guys gave me a granola bar and at the cafe I had a smoothie. But I was starved when I got back, so Carola, who is the bicycle officer at her college(!) and I went to a fish and chips shop. I had told myself I wanted to eat fish and chips before I left, and this was the perfect opportunity. It was a takeaway place, so we got our meals and went and sat on a stone wall and stuffed ourselves. Delicious! Then Carola went back to her hotel to change for the reception and I want back to the conference center because I had brought clean clothes with me in my backpack. At the reception, I got into a great conversation with a guy there who tries to get businesses to reward their employees for using alternative means of transportation. Shortly before 7 I hit a wall and thought I would fall asleep on the spot. So I went out, caught the bus and came back to the apartment. Everything worked well and I did a load of wash. Tomorrow will be a day full of nothing but seminars. Let’s see what I learn there.

No comments:

Post a Comment