Saturday, November 10, 2018

Edinburgh and Armistice Day

Wanda, Sheila’s friend, recommended that I take the train  to Edinburgh instead of the train. She told me to sit on the left side of the train. And I’m glad I took her advice. The view along the coast was breath-taking,plus I saw a ring-necked pheasant and herons. I didn’t get in until after 11, so I walked done to my hotel before I I got something to eat. My room is the size of a postage stamp and the when I sit on the toilet, my feet are in the shower. This is no exaggeration. But the price is right for one night.
I couldn’t get into my room until 3, so I deposited my bag at the reception and started heading up the hill towards the castle. Halfway up the hill, there was a nice little cafe where I had a BLT (It had. no mayonnaise on it.) and some curry chicken soup. It was a pleasant lunch. So, I finished walking up the hill and paid to get into the castle. I first took a guided tour and then spent another 1.5 hours looking around. It was bitter cold and the wind was blowing like crazy. By the time I was finished, I was wishing I had taking my warm hat and scarf out of my suitcase. So I hustled back to the hotel and got under the covers for while. I turned on the Telly and watched some of the normal afternoon fare of gameshows and talk shows about who’s the father of my baby, and if you don’t give me back my rugby tickets I’ll knock your face in. What was the name of that guy in American TV who did the show like that? Jerry something.
After I got warm, I wanted to get something light to eat. I had been dreaming of a scone. So his time I dressed better for the weather and walked around the city. I stopped at the Black Medicine Coffee Co. It was a nice little place so I went in and asked.  But they wouldn’t have scones until tomorrow morning again. That’s when I walked down the street and found the Tesco grocery store with all the fine products for my dinner featured in the blog before this. Irn Bru is actually quite tasty. Not as much carbonation as American beverages. I couldn’t resist one Krispy Kreme and I wanted a healthy component to the meal so I went with the smoked salmon ring. I consumed it all back on my bed in the postage-stamp sized room while watching “Have I Got News For You.” It’s a news show with a comical take to it.  It’s pretty skin to the monologues of most late night comedians or like “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me” on NPR radio. Just before 10 I fell asleep and slept like a log until 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment