Thursday, November 8, 2018

A day in Glasgow

So, I’m up nice and early to make sure I get my train. At 7:15 the loudspeaker announces that there is a fire between Dundee and Perth so there will be bus transportation between those two cities. Please don’t let it be my train! Please don’t let it be my train!  It’s my train. Poop. But it worked well and in Perth the train to Glasgow waited for us. When I arrived in Glasgow, I went to the tourist office, picked up a map and got directions to some places. The first thing I did was have a great pancake breakfast at a place the tourist lady recommended. The waiter gave me additional advice about some things to see. I headed up to St. Mungo’s Cathedral and only viewed it from the outside because I walked right past it into the Necroplis, the cemetery that makes Mt. Hope seem absolutely level! And there were some very ostentatious grave markers. We’s talking here about a lot of rich merchants from a couple of centuries. Then I walked over to the Provands Lordship, supposedly the oldest house in Glasgow and where the church hierarchy used to live. Besides being impressively preserved,   It has a neat herbal garden in the back with an explanation of what ailments all the herbs are supposed to cure.
After that, I walked all the way down High Street where the People’s Palace is located. It has a fabulous conservatory much larger than Lamberton and in the museum part there’s an interesting exhibit of earlier life in Glasgow. Most of the exhibit was concerned with the two world wars. When I was done there, I walked along the Clyde to St. andrew’s Cathedral and peeked in before walking up the very toney Buchanan Street pedestrian zone. Did you ever notice that the cities with pedestrian zones never have Walmart or Dolar Store on them. It’s always Gucci and Victoria’s Secret. I turned off and went into the Lighthouse, which has different art exhibits. But all I actually did was climb to the top and look at the view of the city. Then I still had time to kill and, since the Police Museum was closing soon, I went into the Gallery of Modern Art. It wasn’t my first choice, but I wanted to kill some time. Then I just moseyed back to the train station only to hear that they were still working on the equipment where the fire was and we would be bused again. No problem. It worked so well the first time. Not! This time the bus arrived at Dundee too late for me to make my connection. I ran up the street to try and catch a bus and watched as it pulled away before I could catch it. Back to the station. My next connection would be for an hour. So the station master called a cab for me and had me delivered to my doorstep. Thank you, ScotRail.

No comments:

Post a Comment