Sunday, November 4, 2018

Landed in the rain, woke up in sunshine.

Let me say, first of all, that I’m glad I had the presence of mind to bring my plug converters for British electrical outlets. I would have been in a bad way if I had forgotten them. The first leg of my trip was to Moscow. The immigration officer there inquired about my profession, although it’s right there in my visa. He wanted to know where I teach. When I told him I teach 3- and 4-year-olds, he didn’t want to believe me. He wanted me to explain to him I I could teach English to kids that young. He wasn’t being a jerk. He was genuinely curious. Next stop, Amsterdam. I was a little late landing there so I always worry about making the connection. But there were no long lines at security and everything worked out well.
I landed, got some pounds from the ATM, and caught the shuttle bus to the Holiday Inn near the airport. It was so nice to lie in bed and watch TV. What a treat. Everyone was unfailingly polite and helpful. And it’s interesting that I really do have difficulty understanding some of the people who speak with a heavy dialect. I have to really pay attention. And the 3-hour time difference is throwing me off my sleep pattern.
It was raining when I arrived, but when I woke up this the sun was shining. You could see the surrounding mountain range and the air was absolutely clear. After a really good breakfast for scrambled eggs, toast, cereal (but no beans, as is the British custom), I got back on the shuttle and went to the airport. There I caught a bus for downtown. They have a videotape on the bus of a person signing the recorded information about stops and hotels. What an innovative idea! Downtown at the bus station I caught the bus for Dundee. The ride took an hour and a half. I was amazed at how much the landscape reminded me of the foothills of the Adirondacks. The foliage was sill very colorful and, once out in the countryside, there were a lot of sheep. We got served cake and tea on the bus ride. When I told the guy I wanted weak tea, he should only just dip my teabag in once, he said, “So, you just want hot water?” Smartass Scot! But everyone here is quick with a joke and has a great sense of humor. Nobody seems angry about anything. (I know, I know. It’s not like that at the soccer stadiums.) It’s such a pleasant, relaxing atmosphere.
When I got on the local bus to Carnoustie and asked the bus driver what it cost, he told me 75£! (It was only 3£.)  They’re all a bunch of comedians. And this guy made sure I got off at the right bus stop and headed in the right direction.
I found Sheila’s apartment and just as I was about to ring one neighbor’s doorbell, another neighbor came out and said hello to me before she had to drive away. Wanda, the  neighbor with the apartment keys let me in and showed me the apartment. Oh my god, it’s lovely. And what a location. It overlooks the golf course and in the distance you can see the sea. What a sweetheart Wanda is. She even made soup for me because she wasn’t sure if I had gotten anything to eat. I had picked up a little something to microwave at the store by the bus stop, but the soup was delicious. After I ate the soup and settled in, I went walking along the golf course along the sea, then came back again through the center of town. It’s not a large town and, of course, everything is closed on Sunday. But the shop windows were interesting and the place has a lot of charm. Plus, a humongous golf course. That’s Scotland for you.
Tomorrow the Bikeability Scotland starts in the afternoon with some breakout sessions. I chose(What else?) the bike ride. And where do you think it goes? From Dundee to Carnoustie! So the stretch I covered with the bus today, I’ll do with the bike tomorrow. Boy, would it be great if the sun shines tomorrow, too. But I’m not going to hold my breath. I’ll have my rain jacket with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment