Sunday, October 15, 2017

Today's adventures

Fun fact. There's a lot of advertising here in Latin script (our writing) because it's "cool" to look European. But it is required to be accompanied by a transcription/explanation in the Cyrillic alphabet so that everyone understands it.

I've also noticed that most of the statues and monuments I've seen are dedicated to poets and artists, not military figures. Not to say that Kazan hasn't had it's share of war, but it certainly doesn't seem to be as glorified as it is in the States. Hmmmmmm, the arts are respected more than fighting. I wonder if that's why the people here seem to get along well together, seem to be more tolerant of others, and actually welcome strangers into their lives? Who knows?

I also forgot to mention that Kazan also has a section called Beverly Hills. It's in a hilly section of town (surprise) and must have some single family dwellings that are exceptionally expensive. I can't wait to go exploring in that part of town.

Had a lazy day today because I'm fighting a cold again. I did go to the bookstore this afternoon to get a couple of things to read and ran into one of the older students from our school. It was hard for her to speak English outside of the school setting.

I also found Alyoshka chocolate bars, which are just about as good as Hershey's. I've also seen everything from Snickers to Skittles. And those items are ALSO placed near the cash register to get the customers to make impulse purchases. How to push certain products!

I came home and listened to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, will do my lesson plans for the week now and hopefully fall asleep early tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment