Friday, October 20, 2017

The trifecta plus one, part 2.

Payday, landlady day, clinic day and bank day, all on one day. Man, I should have picked lottery numbers today!

Let’s start with the landlady. She announced, through the intermediary at school who pays my rent, that she would come in today and read the meters. That means the place had to be cleaned up and presentable, because Russians are obsessed with clean apartments. They’re worse than the Germans. So I mopped and washed dishes last night. I must have done a good job because the guy told me she was pleased and my utilities bill was only $34 for the last five weeks.

I met he guy at 8 this morning because he had to set up an appointment at a local clinic for me for a blood draw to check on my thyroid meds. So we walk to the university clinic where, surprise, surprise, we have to put those little plastic booties on over our shoes to enter the building. We also had to turn our coats in at the coat check. Of course, I had to show my passport when I signed in and pay in advance. For the blood draw, analysis and a translation of the document into English altogether -$10. People, you can’t beat a good health care program.

On the way over to the clinic, he pointed out that there was a swimming pool there at the university which I could you. But to use a swimming pool you, first you must go to a doctor and get an attest that you have no communicable skin diseases. He cheerfully told me that he could save me the trouble be a use he knew a guy who could get me the documents for a $10 bribe! I don’t even like swimming in pools that much. I can live without it.

After the clinic I made him go to the bank with me, because I finally wanted this mess straightened out. We were there at 9:15 and the bank didn’t open until 10, so I we started on the ATM machines. And wonder of wonders, this branch of the bank had ATMs with English commands. HOWEVER, the only two commands were”check your balance”and “check your mobile balance”. What a big help.  So we turned it back on Russian and I wrote down all the commands I needed to know. Now I can at least deposit my money.

And get this. When I feed the money into the ATM, it rejected one of the bills. So, since we had to go into the bank anyway to get my automatic phone payment deleted, I said I would pay the bIll in at the counter. As the bank finally opens, the manager stands there and announces thatTHIS BANK BRANCH NO LONGER DEALS WITH CASH!!! Say what?! Yup. The tellers at this branch will no longer do anything with cash, only cards and other questions. If you want cash here, you have to get it out of the ATMs. This is nuts. It’s a bank, for chrissake!

In any case, I feel more confident with the bank now. But every time I have a question, I will make the guy go with me. I’m still that pissed off.

We got back to school at about 10:30 and went right into class. We went outside to play, then came in for lunch and  we put them down for their naps. Then I ran to accounting and picked up my 3rd pay “envelope”. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can deposit it using my newly obtained bank knowledge.

Then I went upstairs to our international room and there were two beautiful boxes. I had been looking for some because we’re going to do a unit on farm animals and I wanted to build a barn the kids could paint. Actually, it turned out pretty well and I think they’ll have fun doing it. Are you ready for this one?  Not only do we go to the salt room, but children’s yoga has been added to the kids’ schedule.

This evening I went out with the woman I tutor. We usually meet at a restaurant so I can enjoy the local food and then we go over her essays. She gave me a container of Russian sauerkraut today. Very, very salty and a little chewier than German sauerkraut.

So, now I can enjoy the weekend. Tomorrow I’m going to pick up a package at the post office and try to mail one. Maybe I’ll even pay for it with my new debit card! Then I’ll had to the bank again and make another deposit.

Sunday, all the foreign language teachers at school are going out for dinner. That should be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment