Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Lots of comparisons.

Fun fact. The have computer screens on the subway trains that show commercials and between the commercials there’s always something running. Two weeks ago it was an old Buster Keaton silent film, last week it was stupid animal videos, and this week it’s a quiz for kids. Is the dolphin a mammal or a fish.
Fun fact. At the open market there was a tank wagon selling milk. They filled it in plastic bags. I saw that in Kenya, too.
Fun fact. In the restrooms in some establishments, they have signs asking you to put the toilet paper in the wastebasket. The plumbing just can’t handle it. I remember seeing that in Jordan, too.
Yesterday I got a text letting me know  that my permanent debit card had arrived. I stopped at the old bank and withdrew more money, then hopped on over too the new bank to deposit it and pick up the card. And who did I run into? The Guy from school with Sonia, the Spanish teacher. They were trying to set up her account. I did the transaction pretty much by myself, so I’m getting much better.

We decided to get tickets to the basketball game on the 11th. The school guy will order them for us online. The best seats in the house only cost $5.00. That will be a fun thing to do when I get back from Moscow. And Sonia’s game for anything.
After we parted, I bought a box of candy and took it to the ladies at the bank. They were so nice and helpful, I wanted them to know how much I appreciated it. It’s sometimes so frustrating trying to function in a foreign language, especially when you’re dealing with finances.
After that I headed downtown because I had a one o’clock appointment for a tour of the library in English. It’s housed in a beautiful old mansion which was saved from destruction during the revolutionary period by Lenin’s wife. Another interesting fact was that, when the owner had the plans drawn up, he made sure the rounded balcony looked like a minaret so that his Moslem visitors could observe their prayer times. The rooms were gorgeous. And, of course, I didn’t have my camera with me.

I headed back home to get some things done and went into town again at 4 because I had to tutor at 5. It turned out to be a very productive session. We went to a Tatar restaurant in the pedestrian zone, which was very good. Interesting was, they had English explanations in the menu and they had a playroom for kids, just like at an American MacDonald’s, the only difference being that a restaurant employee stayed in the room and supervised the kids. We at least got a lot of English done that way.

Tomorrow afternoon I leave for Moscow, so I guess I’d better get my suitcase packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment