Sunday, March 24, 2019

The weird plane ride

I got up and got to the airport in plenty of time. It was foggy but the sun was trying to shine through so I didn’t thing too much about it. When I got to the airport and went to check-in, they said all flights had been delayed because of weather. I asked if I would make my connecting flight and they told me to get in line “over there” and change it.  “Over there” was one Aeroflot counter with one young lady at the computer and 20 people waiting in line. OK. While standing in line, an acquaintance came by who was in the same boat. He was flying with Utair, which is a subsidiary of Aeroflot, but her sign said she dealt with all airline. This lady did not seem busy at all. Vladimir took me up to her and explained the situation in Russian, but she said she couldn’t help me. Meanwhile, the line behind me was growing around the corner. After two hours, I had made it to the third place in line, near the not-busy lady’s counter. I looked at her, looked at the line behind me and asked her if there was really no way she could help the poor individual who was doing all the work alone. So she took my passport and in 5 minutes I had my flight changes. But that didn’t help the other people in line.
So I went back to check-in and got done in 3 seconds. I also ran into a British guy I know who got someone to change his flight online, but they wouldn’t let him check in because he didn’t have it on paper. So he had to get into the same line I just got out of and he waited 2.5 hours. What a nightmare for everybody.
The flight wa OK but then I had to wait for 4 hours in Moscow to get my connecting flight. Meanwhile I was texting frantically to make sure everyone knew that I didn’t need to be picked up at the time I originally thought.
We finally boarded and then they had to de-ice the plane in Moscow, which should tell you something about Moscow winters. The flight’s almost over and just as I think nothing else can go wrong, the flight attendants call over the loudspeaker for medical assistance for the guy sitting a few rows ahead of me. Of course when we landed in Frankfurt, medical personnel came on board. But as it was, we were only about 30 minutes late. Since I had no check-in luggage I got out rather quickly and was glad to get picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment