Saturday, March 2, 2019

The non-moving trolley, ice berg lettuce and no bacon

Ok, this was weird. Yesterday I wanted to go shopping at the store where I know I can find the good stuff like bacon and spinach. Sonia was headed for a concert and was going to come over afterwards for a late dinner so I figured I had plenty of time to go shopping for everything I needed. I walk to the trolley stop near the metro station and wait with a about a hundred other people. The trolley didn’t come. People were standing on the tracks looking down the route to see if it was coming. Meanwhile people were checking their phones and starting to walk away. After 20 minutes I though, screw this, and walked around the corner to a little local store I like. I just got the stuff I needed for dinner and figured I could go shopping for the other stuff today. I went home and cooked stuffed peppers and stuffed tomatoes. Sonia got there about 10:30 and we ate and yakked until 1:30.
In spite of getting to bed late, I still woke up at 7:30. I started looking online for what was playing at my favorite theater. It turns out that Green Book is playing at 5:30 and Favorite is playing at 8:30. Aha, I figure I’m going to do a double feature. I text Anna right away and she is in.  So tonight will be a long movie night.
I finally got moving and went out to the water dispenser to fill up my drinking water bottle. Then I decided to head for my good store again. I’m just walking through the underground passage at the subway to get to the trolley stop and I see Jennifer coming toward me. We talked for a few minutes and then she decided to come with me. We walk up the stairs to the trolley stop and on the tracks going in the opposite direction that we want, a trolley is sitting there and not moving. And, again people are coming on our side of the tracks, checking their phones and then leaving. I look down the track and the trolley is siting about a quarter of a mile away and not moving. And not moving. And not moving. So we decided not to waste anymore time there and started walking back home.
First I showed her the indoor public market. And to my great surprise, I found ice berg lettuce. I was delirious with joy because my purpose of the shopping trip had been to find bacon for BLTs, which I had been going to eat without the L. Now I had the L but no B. Jenn had not known the market was there and she really liked it. After we left there , we went across the street to the little mall that has a store with really cheap kitchen utensils because she was looking for a certain type of mop. We also found a yarn shop where she got some neat yarn for crafts for her kids.
We didn’t find her mop so we went down to the grocery store on the lower level. No bacon, but Jennifer got some of the delicious grapefruit. We headed for home after that and stopped at one more grocery store along the way. Still none of the good bacon I like. Much of the stuff called bacon her3 is inedible to me. It has to be labeled Spanish bacon. In any case, we walked back home and I ate two LTs. I still have a little while before I have to leave for the movies, so I might as well take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment