Sunday, March 17, 2019

That was the week that REALLY was!

What a week. I haven’t even really had much time to write about it. Weather-wise, it’s getting to be spring. One day it’s melts, the next day it’s freeze. Not ideal conditions fo4 walking around on my sore foot.
So on Monday, I had wanted to meet Dmitry for coffee but he had to postpone. We decided to do it Thursday. Instead, I hobbled down to the tram stop to go to the big store to get some things. I was just glad to get home without falling. Then it felt good to put my foot up.
Tuesday was a funny day in school. One of the boys punch one of the girls and gave her a bloody nose. The owner’s son Immediately came to me and asked, “Would you like me to tell my mother?”
I though that was priceless! In the evening we surprised Ravil will a birthday dinner. Sonia had set it up that she was going to meet him, then a bunch of us came along without him suspecting it. It was a fun evening.  But again, I was glad to get home so I could put my foot up.
Wednesday I went along to table tennis, but I didn’t play. Claudia and Frank came along for the first time. Claudia played very well. You could tell she had played in a club when she was younger. She was much more of a challenge to the other guys than I am.
Thursday Mahmoud got in touch with me and said that my bike presentation would be that evening. Yikes, we really got our wires crossed on that one. I had understood that he would give me a new date. I didn’t know it had just been postponed for a week. Quick, see if Dmitry can postpone again. Yep, we’re on for Monday.
OK, so I google map where I’m supposed to go, get to the place, and, of course can’t find the right entrance. It’s one of those deals where you have to walk around the entire building because it’s an entire city block, but the whole building is only one address. Confusing, but I happened to meet Mahmoud on the street and we went in together. It turned out to be a group of six business people who are trying to improve their English so they ask guests to come and discuss various topics. Interestingly enough, one of the women knew about me because her son used to attend our school and will be coming back in the fall. I gave my bike talk and everyone was very receptive to the idea. We discussed different things for about an hour and a half, then I headed home to clean up a little because I was having the guys over for pizza on Friday.
Friday came and we had a great time sitting around the kitchen table just talking, drinking tea and acting pizza. Ravil learned the expression “loose tea”! Tea is a really popular drink here. People drink  cappuccino and lattes, but I’m thinking the first hot drink of choice is tea. And there is a LARGE variety to choose from.
I was glad that the school week was over. I wore the foot brace to school every day and only took it off when I was off my feet for awhile.
Saturday I met Ravil on the other side of town at 10 a.m. I had asked him to go to DHL with me to see what it would cost to send some of my things back. HOLY CRAP! For 100 kilos that wanted more that $3500! I mean, I know it’s in my contract that the school will pay for it, but that is just ridiculous. So Ravil suggested I just send it through the postal service. He had helped Thomas do that when Thomas left. It cost about one tenth as much! So I’m going to start packing Tuesday and get a lot of stuff out of the way. Yes, I’m really coming back. I need a break from 8-hour work days with VERY active children.
After that harrowing experience with DHL,  we stopped in at MacDonald’s for a coffee. With us that always turns into an hour-long conversation. Ravil is probably one of the most intelligent, thoughtful people I have ever met.
I took the metro home and did all the dishes from the pizza party. Then I Skyped with Germany before I met Paul outside to head for Fouad’s birthday party. It had gotten so cold and icy, we decided to take a taxi because I didn’t want to risk a fall again. We managed to hold out until about 10, then we came on back home. Neither of us is a big party-goer.
Now, I’m just going to have another cup of coffee of coffee before I meet Anna At the Kremlin. We want to see an exhibit about Kasachstan at on of the museums there. After that I will stay right in town because the bosses have invited me to dinner. It was supposed to be last night, but they   postponed. It’s going to be the annual meeting where they try to convince me to stay another year. This time it won’t work.

No comments:

Post a Comment