Wednesday, January 2, 2019

This was a good day

I’m in another great hotel with a wonderful of the Acropolis from the breakfast room and out my room window a beautiful view of some columns which I’m not able to upload at the moment because WiFi is too weak. But go ahead. Ask me how my day was.
I got up and brought my suitcase down to the to reception so it could be picked up later.  Then I ate breakfast and was rejoicing in the fact that the sun was shining. So IF the cog railway wasn’t running and I had to ride over the mountain to get down to the coast, at least I would have sunshine. I hung around and the receptionist called the tourist bureau and, lo and behold, the train was running. So I rode the two minutes down to the station, bought my ticket, left my bike at the station and walked back to the Holocaust Museum. In 1943 the Nazis executed every male over the age of 16 in Kalavrita and set fire to the locked school where they had imprisoned the women and children. The women and children managed to break the doors down and escape. The museum is housed in the rebuilt school. I was so glad I got to see it. So, I went back to the train station just as the train was pulling in from its uphill trip. I loaded my bike on and took my seat. Then we started down through breathtaking scenery with cliffs, waterfalls and goat herds. Thectrip took an hour and was well worth it. 
On the coast it was still cold. I took off my rain layer but still had 4 other layers on, plus my gloves. It was a great ride along the little-used old national highway. There were a few hills at the beginning, but NOT mountains. I rolled through so many picturesque little towns. After about an hour I stopped for a cup of coffee. I sat outside on the cafe’s little patio and one of the guys sitting there asked me in flawless English where I was from. It turns out he had lived In Denver for 30 years. I got on the road again und reached Xylokastro shortly before 3. The organizers let me know they would be there at 4, so I tooled around town to get some pictures. When they got there we loaded the bike up immediately and took off. We were back in Athens in two hours. After a shower and a good meal in the restaurant with the view of the Acropolis, I’m about ready for bed.
Tomorrow  I have one more ride along the coast here before I Hop on the plane at a little after midnight. I’ll change my clothes, but I won’t be able to shower. I pity the people who have to sit next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment