Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Dry cleaning through the snow

I had gotten a new sweater for Christmas. I wore it in Greece and of course promptly spilled salad dressing on it. I took it to the dry cleaner’s after school. Holy crap. They charged an arm and a leg!
I didn’t want to pick it up yesterday because I didn’t want to walk all that way before I went over to Paul’s. So I went tonight through the blizzard. It’s been snowing for more than 24 hours now. It’s a really fine snow and the wind is whipping it so hard, it almost feels like sleet against my check. And of course, the snow is drifting on all the roads and sidewalks. Sometimes you have to high step through 12 inches and that’s what really slows you down. It was a miserable walk home with my dry cleaned sweater in one hand (At least they did a good job on it!), a small bag of groceries in the other and the wind blowing in my face. I was glad when I reached the building entrance.
Paul’s dinner yesterday was spectacular. He cooked tandoori chicken, curried chicken over rice, nasi goreng and dhal. This guy is really a gourmet cook. Jake, Adam, Sonja and I were there from school and Ravil, Lorene and Fouad joined us. We had a really great time with some very pleasant conversation. In fact, we got talking so loudly, the people in the apartment below sent the concierge up to tell us to quiet down. We didn’t think we had been that loud, but we had been sitting in the kitchen and Paul says you can hear everything through the air duct. We broke up shortly after that.
The kids at school love talking about the planets. They now know what centers on the moon are and today we talked about gravity. And my older ones understood the concept. There are some clever kids in this group.
Since it was blowing so hard all day, I wasn’t sure if I should take them outside.  It we decided to go walking in the woods. We were protected from the wind and the kids loved jumping in the big snow drifts. And since it was a work day, there weren’t a whole lot of people out there skiing so nobody yelled at the kids to get out of the way.
NOw I’m just tired from wading through all the snow today, so I’m going to call it quits soon. And Lorene takes off for France again in about 3 hours. I hope she makes it through the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment