Friday, January 18, 2019

The interesting meeting

I had been planning to meet Sonia at the shopping center tonight but just before I left school the bos lady came in and and said she had just heard thatvthere is a community meeting to discuss plans for a proposed “park” on the forest behind the school and next to my building. Did I want to go, along with her husband. Of course I did. I’ve been suggesting since I’ve lived here that they have to put up decent directional signs on the trails in the woods. I get lost everytime I go in.
So, we get there and the place is really packed. The architect gives a PowerPoint presentation. About what the “park” is supposed to look like. It’s talking about cafes, bike rental stations, a teeny tiny playground for little kids and a large parking lot. Most of the people jumped on that right away. 99% of them were against a large parking lot right at the edge of the forest. They pointed out there the city could offer alternatives. Some good discussion came up and I suggested they put in a skateboard/BMX park for older kids. They were offering something for every other age group, but nothing for teens. There was also a group of kids there from the local high school who wanted things like a basketball court and a concert venue. One other lady objected to the concert venue because the birds wouldn’t like the noise from the music.
In any case, the boss man said that the project would probably start in summer because the funding is there, and he is sure that the planners will take the public’s suggestions into consideration. Sounds like a democratic process to me, if it really turns out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment