Friday, March 16, 2018

Bala City Bicycle Club

Oh joy, oh joy. The school principal is totally behind a bicycle program here. I find it amazing (and refreshing) to find a school administration which isn’t resistant to change. We had another meeting Thursday at 1. I had done a provisional school of a bike track around the grounds, Matthew got the information about the Bikeability program that we’re going to model ourselves on, and Ildar, the principal, assigned people to start putting out posters to gather input from parents and students. He even said he wants the kids to make all of our traffic signs. The school is fully committed and that’s the exciting part. Now, if the damn snow would just start melting so that I can start biking to school again! We got about 4 inches of new snow overnight and it’s been snowing all day. I’m ready for it to be over now. I rushed home from work yesterday because I had tickets at the philharmonic hall for a jazz concert. I was going to meet Anna there at 6. The 74 bus stop was only 10 minutes away, the bus came every 12 minutes, according to google maps and I figured if I leav3 the house at 5, I’ll still be there in plenty of time. So I change my clothes and trudge down to the bus stop through the wind. A gazillion buses go by, but not the 74. And it was more than 12 minutes. So I asked a lady who checked on her phone app and said it was on its way and would be there soon. Hmmmmmm, that was not the case. By this time it’s 5:45 And really into rush hour and I’m sweating bricks. Ok, get out the unreliable Russian phone and try to call a taxi. Of course, when I’m in a panic it never works. So I do the next best thing and text Anna to call me one. that works! He picks me up and we start talking. He’s got a brother who’s teaching a Rutgers University and he’s on his cell phone the entire time, trying to find a picture of his brother to show me. Please, just stop it and drive. Please, just stop it and drive. But it works out well and I got there with Time to spare and we had great seats. It was a concert of the Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra of the Republic of Tatarstan. Guest singer was Cleve Jones. I was unfamiliar with him. So, the orchestra comes out late, as is usual at a play or concert here. It’s a bunch of middle-aged guys in I’ll-fitting suits and bad haircuts. I’m wondering what I le5 myself in for. But damn, these guys were good. The orchestra leader had a really great repartee with the audience and he played a great saxophone. They were tremendous. And Cleve Jones sang everything from “Fever” to “Yesterday”. He has a voice range of about 5 octaves and did Frank Sinatra hits as well as Whitney Houston and Billy Holiday. anna loved the concert too. I was so happy I got the tickets. My TA sub made it through the week! We worked very well together. She does a really good job and does not really share the conventional Russian thoughts on education. She’s a pleasure to work with. I love the toaster that the parents gav3 me for International Women’s Day but to make toast the way I love it (slightly burnt) I have to toast the bread twice. Even when I jack that baby up to full speed, it comes out way too light for me. This weekend there is nothing planned except for a possible birthday party on Sunday. Other than that, I’m staying home!

No comments:

Post a Comment