Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The first fall in the snow.

So, it’s been snowing all day and the wind is blowing like crazy. Sonia texts me and says she needs to walk to the store down by the subway station to buy body milk and did I want to come along? I bet I was wearing 15 Pounds of clothing. We were super careful crossing the streets because we weren’t sure if the cars could even stop on time at the crosswalks. And, of course, I’m so bundled up, I can’t turn me head to see if anything is coming. I have to turn my whole body.

It took us about 10 extra minutes to get there, walking through snow mixed with sand on top of the ice. But we made it, bought our few things, talked with Emil, the nice clerk who speaks a little English, then went to our hole-in-the-wall bakery for the good bread and headed home. Keep in mind that Sonia is from Spain and has never seen snow like this. So she bought herself som spikes to attach to the bottoms of her shoes. But it was still treacherous.

On the way home a lady noticed us speaking English and stopped and talked to us for 15 minutes in the snow and wind. The people of Kazan are so friendly and so excited to have foreigners in their city. We were almost home when my left foot hit a patch of ice and I went down on one knee. I had so many damned clothes on, it took me ages to get back up, even with Sonia helping. My god, it’s only December. How am I going to maneuver until April?!

No comments:

Post a Comment