Saturday, September 16, 2017

The shopping day and the tram ride.

I've found that it is easier to upload photos from my phone to the blog, so I'll write about my day first, then add pictures at the end in a separate blog.

So, first I have to make a correction. Public transportation cost $0.43 to ride, not less than a penny. I typed way too many zeros. As I overshot my stop and had to walk back, I was thinking to myself, Wait a minute, dimwit! That doesn't compute right! Sometimes it pays to overshoot your stop. It makes you think.

So, Kazan is truly where East meets West. There is a definite Middle Asian flavor to the city, with Middle Eastern influences also. I stopped in at a mosque today where everything was written in Russian, Tatar and Arabic. There's such a wonderful mixture of Slavic and Middle Asian features in the faces.

And on the other hand, there is a very strong Western European economic influence. There is KFC, MacDonald's, Cinemax, Obi, Mediamarkt, all Stores from the States and Europe. The Mega Shopping  Center had IKEA, Italian lingerie and German ice cream.

I also see vestiges of the old Soviet system, especially in the style of construction, but everyone has a cellphone and everyone under twenty has hearbuds in his or her ears.

Paradoxical is the approach to the traffic situation. I already mentioned that cars stop on a dime for anyone in a crosswalk.  But the sidewalks more often than not have huge curbstones when a road crosses and parents with stroller look like they're running an obstacle course. They service roads that people and cars share have cars parked everywhere and when two cars meet on a narrow street, it often takes a long time for one of them to get out of the way because there is soon a traffic backup in both directions.

I've seen several people biking. Some were even using the busy street. A lot of kids bike on the service roads. I've only seen two people besides me wearing a helmet.

But let me get on to my day. After I filled my water bottle at the Automat, I can home and had breakfast. Then I rode my bike to my bike shop about 20 minutes away using the service roads, which means I had to keep getting off and on the bike, plus avoid potholes and people. The bike store didn't have the kind of bike basket I was looking for, so I had the guy adjust my seat for me and then, since I was near a small, local mosque, I figured I might as well look in.  I carry a scarf with me for just such occasions. I went in and the custodian showed me where to but my shoes and explained how to get to the prayer room. I looked around for a few minutes then fired up the bike and headed back. Keep in mind, I'm still on the service road, having to get off and on, avoiding people and pushing through the open air market. Just as I'm getting a little hungry, I waked past a bakery that has its door opened. I went no farther. I had a great pastry similar to a Danish with an apple filling and a cup of coffee that made my haircstand on end, it was so strong. Next time, I'll have to remember to order the cappuccino. It's definitely milder here.

Fortified, I push down to my street but still have a way to go. And I'm thinking to myself, "Hmmmm, push, get of an an all the time or brave the traffic. I went with the traffic. It wasn't as bad as I thought. It was almost an"East Henrietta Road" experience without the shoulders. Got back to the apartment, took a short break and walked to the tram stop. Since I was looking to by a drying rack for my clothes, I figured it would do to take the bike.

So, the tram (or bus) works like this.  You have your money ready when you get get on. A conductor comes by, takes your money and gives you a ticket. If the tram is full, you literally have to elbow your way on. If you don't, you wait for the next tram. I waited for the next one after I missed a previous one and didn't get on that one either, so I said "Screw it," and walked one more stop. On the back, since I was carrying a clothes drying rack and a bike basket, nobody messed with me.

The first place I got off was Dekatlon, a sport store. It had , unfortunately moved. So I walked down to a store which turned out to be a Russian Home Depot. It was absolutely amazing. It compares favorably to anything I've seen in the States.  I found the clothes drying rack I wanted but didn't get it yet because I still wanted to hit the Mega Shopping Mall. And I'm glad I did. It had a great sport store called Sport Master AND the Dekatlon sport store.

I found the bike basket I wanted in Dekatlon. The young guy who was helping me was so nice. He wanted to register me for a customer discount card. His computer rejected my email address several and he was so embarrassed, he gave me a discount on the basket anyway. I'm just so impressed by the service that's offered at the stores. Although English isn't as big a thing here as it is in Germany, everyone really goes out of his way to be helpful.

So, took my bike basket, went back to the Russian Home Depot, picked up my drying rack and got on the tram. Then overshot my stop and ended up walking more than I wanted too.

I got home, took another break, got on the bike and went to a closer shopping center to get another set of bedsheets and a phone. Found the sheets, but the phone with the many different plans is much too complicated to do with out help, so I called it quits and came home. I got here in time to stream "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" while I cooked supper and did some laundry.

So, my day is over. Tomorrow I really just want to do some sightseeing. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. This blog presented itself in a very easy and clear way. Owner of this blog found a very simple way to express its view but when you read this blog completely, you would get to know about how hard it could be to express such in a easy way.นาฬิกา นำ เข้า

    ReplyDelete