Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The bank account - NOT!

OK, so my British colleague and his Russian wife Valeria, have a bank account at Alphabank, which they had set up for them when they were teaching in Moscow last year. Matthew explains that it's really easy to make money transfer back to the U.K. So he says Valeria will help me set up the account. We push the machine at the bank to get our number and wait for it to show up on a screen above a desk. When it's our turn, we go sit at the lady's desk and Valeria explains what sort of account I want. Since bank lady doesn't seem to be able to handle that, she sends us across the room to Anton.

Valeriya again explains what I want and he asks for my documents. I give him my passport, which has my visa in it in the Russian language, my immigration card in Russian, and my work permit in Russian. So he starts checking his computer and wants to know where my green card is. Geez, I'm not immigrating permanently, I just want a bank account for the school year! So he consulted with a colleague in the bank, then they consult with a colleague online. Although all my Russian documents, with my picture on my visa, are in the Russian language, I will have to fill out a special form, get a notarized Russian translation of my passport and bring them back to the bank. Then they MIGHT open an account for me without a green card. But they reserve the right to turn me down. Screw Alphabank.

I will talk with the head of the school tomorrow and insist that he go with me to another bank and help me. If he's going to pay me in cash, he's going to find a way to help me deposit it. Valeriya texted her former employer who helped her open the account in Moscow and he said, yup, everything is different in the Republic of Tatarstan where Kazan is located. Geez, that's just great.

But a couple of good things came out of the evening. When we walked to the bank, we stopped at a little bakery that sells lepyoshka, some of the best flat bread I've ever tasted in my life. Now, anytime I'm down in that area, which is right near the subway station, I know what I'm going to buy.

While Valeriya and I were in the bank, Matthew ran into MacDonalds's to get some shrimp. Yes, folks, shrimp. Not just crappy little hamburgers here. Real shrimp. And he says it's really good stuff.

Class went well today. The kids are really getting into the routine and saying more and more things in English. They are understanding what my expectations are and starting to really listen. We have to put on a little performance at the end of October. We are going to sing rain, Rain, Go Away in a little skit. The kids seem to like it. I had to sing it about 10 times today. And nobody put his elbow in his soup today.

My cold is feeling a little better. I fell asleep at 8:30 last night, which is why I didn't blog. So, I'm signing off for now. I sure there will be more adventures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment