Thursday, September 28, 2017

NationalPreschool Teachers' Day, part 2.

To clarify the presents, next to the plant is a box of very delicious macaroons and freshly cut flowers. It was very kind of the parents. They also gave the teaching assistant and the nanny the same presents.

There are no paper kleenexes here. When a kid's nose was running the other day, I asked my TA where the tissues were. She said, "We don't have any. We just use napkins." The things are useless. When I sneezed and had to blow my nose the other day, I grabbed one and ended up with a handful of snot. No I run and grab paper towels from the bathroom when I have to blow my nose. They are about the same consistency as good old German kleenexes. The just don't come in the small packages of ten. And for all of you who are fans of my German toilet paper, Russian toilet paper is right up their with it. There's no squeezing the Charmin here. It's like wrapping a package to send overseas. This stuff is sturdy. I like it, as opposed to the alternative.

One neat thing I learned is that the Russian license plates only use letters that are legible in both alphabets. They may sound different in each, but everyone, Russian or foreigner alike, can read them.
"P" in Russian is pronounced the same as our "R". "C" is "S". So you're understanding it in either language, but understanding it differently.

I tried to make slime for the kids the other day but there is no liquid laundry starch here, so I got inventive and tried to liquefy some corn starch. Of course it didn't work and it was an awful mess. But what did work was that I made bubbles with dish liquid and water. I didn't have and of the wire things that you dip in the liquid to form the circle so I used a pai of toy scissors out of the pay doctor's kit we have in the classroom. It worked very well.

We also made plastic bag kites. The kids got to cut out circles from colored paper and paste them on the plastic bags. I tied string on them and now we take them out everyday on the soccer field and run around with them.

Had another long meeting today.2.5 hours. Still some problems which have be be resolved between the Russian contingent and the English-speaking contingent. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

On the weekend, the entire staff of the school is going to the theater together. This must be an annual event. I've found on my map.me app and will order a taxi on Saturday afternoon. It will be in Russian, put the Revue is called "Vegas", so it might  not be so difficult to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment