Wednesday, September 13, 2017

That was a long day!

DId I already mention that I shouldn't drink the water out of the faucet? So I have a five liter jug which I can refill at a little automat right near the apt building. You hang the bottle on the spot, put in your money, and let 'er rip.

I was also warned that the landlady would be in Friday to read my meters. I was told to make sure that the apt is clean. Nobody, but nobody, wears shoes inside a house. I think I mentioned that everyone who wears street shoes has to put plastic booties on when they go into the school building. I always carry an "inside" pair of shoes in my backpack.

Man, Aliya, Guzel and I scrambled today to get the room ready for the parent presentation tonight. The maintenance crew was really great. They busted their butts hanging things from the ceiling and putting up the projector for the white board. I'll have to have Aliya give me whiteboard instruction. I'm not good with that type of thing.

The room looks great, with lots of neat centers and lots of new toys. They are really sparing no expense to make this project work. They want the school to be truly international and give the littlest ones a head start with English.

The parents were very receptive and seem to be excited that their kids will be getting a jumpstart with languages. I spoke to the parents only in English and many did very well. I want to encourage them to speak English with their kids.

It's been decided that the parents will get daily reports from me over what's app. That should be interesting. I only gets what's app on my American phone but I need to buy a Russian phone and SIM card to communicate with colleagues. Hope I can get that done this weekend. And it would be great if I could get some sightseeing in Sunday. We'll see how things fly.

I rode home after the meeting in the dark. Since we don't do daylight savings time, it's dark at 7 p.m. I haven't been out in the evening yet, so it hasn't been a big deal. It will be interesting to see what time it gets dark in winter!

That's all I can think of for today. Tomorrow it will be more lesson plans and art project planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment