Saturday, April 13, 2019

The touchy-feely workshop

Yesterday was a combined Russian/English-speaking staff conference. The Russian teachers in our school are still teaching in the old Soviet style. The bosses are trying to convince them to edge on up into the 21st century. Nope, not interested. It’s too much work to change. So the meeting dragged on for two hours and all the boss got was resistance to his ideas. Lordy, why do I have to attend these things. We all know what the outcome will be.
This morning a workshop was offered for the kindergarten teachers. It was supposed to be about games. Sounded interesting to me!  I only found out about it by accident because my TA said she was going. I guess they don’t bother to ask me because of the language. But they never consider that I understand a lot and there’s always an English-speaker there to ask if I don’t understand something. So I decided to to attend.
There were about 25 of us ( some of whom showed up in spiked heels. As my friend in Henrietta always said, nothing says child care like stiletto heels.) and the seminar was run by two young guys. We started out standing in a circle. OK. So, now we’re supposed to look at everyone in the circle directly in the eye. OK. so, now we’re supposed to wink at everyone in the circle. Getting weird. And now we’re supposed to give everyone in the circle an air kiss from a distance. That ain’t gonna happen. Fortunately, this exercise terminated. Then came a couple of games where, if you goofed up you had to do a penalty round. OK. the discussion after these games was useful. They made the point that it’s not a tragedy to make a mistake. Then came the coffee break and I sat with 3 others who can speak English and we discussed the exercises. That was useful.
So, now comes the good part. We stand in a circle again. Now we are supposed to walk around and look people in the eye while trying to hit people on the back of the head and avoid getting hit ourselves. Hmmmm, I think I’ll sit this one out. You’re not intruding in my personal space. So, as I’m watching this whole thing, the exercise comes to an end and transforms into a conga line and they all have to give each other shoulder massages and back rubs. I’m out there. I’ve got better things to do than play touchy-feely games with staff members I barely know.
So, I hopped on my bike and rode down to another Home Depot type place, still looking for the sacks I need to send my suitcases. Of course, all they have are small ones. Next stop, post office. I bought two large boxes because I know the suitcases are overweight and I have to redistribute some things. It took me a few minutes to bungee them on my bike basket, but I got them home all right. I dropped them off and headed to the bank because I know I’ll need cash, not debit card,  to send the suitcases. Then I headed to the store to buy a few things before I ride back home.
I repacked, I studied some Russian and I cleaned. Tomorrow Ravil will meet me here at 10 and we’ll head for the post office. I’m sure glad I didn’t wait until the last minute to try and send this stuff. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment