Sunday, April 14, 2019

How to do time in a Russian jail

I got the apartment all cleaned early this morning and Ravil got here  at 10 to help me take my two suitcases and one box to the post office. We had to get a taxi (about $1.50) because it was too far to push the suitcases even if they were on castors. There was hardly anyone at the PO when we got there  and yes, some branches of the Russian PO are open on Sunday. Ravil didn’t believe me at first either. A very nice young lady started to help us. When we asked about sacks to put the suitcases in she had to ask her supervisor, who was a first-class, nasty witch. She immediately said they were only for PO use and not for private people. So I had to buy more packing boxes. I opened my suitcases in the middle of the post office and started filling the boxes.
When the supervisor asked what was in the boxes, Ravil told her “drugs”. NO, RAVIL, NO! I don’t want to go to jail in Russia! But then the mush-for-brains supervisor says, “Well, if it’s drugs, we can’t send it!” Ravil then proceeds to explain that it’s clothing and books. Then supervisor lady wants to know how she can be sure. Ravil tells her to open the package and look! Man, she’s a few cards short of a full deck.
It took us 1.5 hours to empty the suitcases and pack everything in the boxes. And each box needed 5 separate forms filled out for it. I packed and Ravil wrote. By the time we were finished, there was an awfully long, angry line behind us. Boy, was I glad when that ordeal was over.
Now the suitcases were so light, we could push them back to my place. I made lunch for us, the we both took off again. I was going to meet Anna to see the Russian history exhibit again and Ravil headed home.
Anna and I both arrived at the exhibit at the same time. This time we concentrated on the portion starting with the revolution. I noticed that I could read more and more of the descriptions under the pictures.After 1.5 hours there, we headed downtown to have a salad at Beanheart’s before we went home. Ah, yes, another eventful weekend.
Tomorrow we bake cookies in school and Tuesday we will color Easter eggs except that I’m not allowed to say “Easter “. So they will be spring eggs.

1 comment:

  1. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. criminal defense attorney

    ReplyDelete