Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A good start to the school year

So, I officially have 18 kids in my class this year. But I have gained another TA, so that is good. Yesterday 12 of the kids showed up and four of the, were brand new. One little girl was shy, but everyone fit in very well and their were no tears. I came in at 7:30 just to make sure that everything went smoothly and wouldn’t you know it, one of the new kids walked in with me. Starting next week, the new TA will be there at 7:30 and I will come in shortly before 8. And wouldn’t you know it, the school year started with a pageant. There were people dressed as a fox, a cat and Paddington Bear. Oh, Lordy,Lordy. Circle time was strange to the new kids, but they are already getting the idea that they have to sit still and listen. They are all following commands, even if it’s just by watching what the other kids do when I say something. That’s a good start. Some of the kids from last year miss the intimacy of a smaller group, but now we have more girls and they have bonded well. The schedule has changed slightly and the best thing is that we eat a little later, so I have a great excuse for not eating supper with the kids because I leave just as they are done. After work, Sonia and I went shopping and to the bank. we checked out the new metro station from the inside but didn’t ride. Today we ended up with 13 kids, but nobody showed up at 7:30. We talked about the weather in circle time and the kids from last year knew that the month had recently changed and they could tell me what the weather was like. It won’t take them long to refresh their skills. Outside today I taught them how to play”What Time is it, Mr. Fox?” Lordy, they loved it. They get excited about all games where I have to run and catch them. we also had our music lesson today and everyone participated, at least most of the time. All the kids eat well. I don’t have any grandmothers who want to come in a feed their grandchildren this year. We made our name tags and put them on the board. And we three adults spend the kids’ nap time trying to get projects and information boards prepared for 18 kids. I just hope that all 18 don’t show up everyday! Sonia and I went downtown for tea tonight after work just because we finally wanted to get on the subway from the new station. It’s so bright and well lit. And it’s actually faster for us to walk there. The other success story for the day was that I met with the principal about the bike club. We are going to start next Tuesday and I will begin by teaching kids who don’t know how to ride a bike how to do it. Of course, the principal can’t find the plan anymore for the bike track around school. I think the guy just throws the stuff away because he’s not really interested and then doesn’t know what to do when he gets called on it. Oh, well. Too bad. I will hold his feet to the fire. Tomorrow Sonia and I are going to go out with our old liaison from school who nowcworks elsewhere. It will be good to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment