Thursday, June 14, 2018

The first day’s trip

So, we ate breakfast at 7:30. It was the usual breakfast buffet in Germany. It was enough, but not outstanding. Then we were to meet at 8:45 to go pick up the bikes. Some of us came down to the lobby early because it’s the only place we can get decent WiFi. In any case, we were all punctual and we walked into the pedestrian zone to the bike shop. First the guy gets out all the e bikes and explains them to the ones who rented them. He adjusted saddles and put on bike baskets. Then he finally got to the people who wanted “normal” bikes. He brings me mine, I have the seat lowered and try it out. Then I ask him to tip the front of the seat up just a bit because I feel as if I’m falling off. Him: I can’t do that. it’s a ratchet and it will point up straight. Me: I just want it up one notch. I know what is comfortable for me. 5 minutes later. Me: I need the front of my saddle raised. Him: I can’t do that. It’s a ratchet and it will stand up straight. Me: No it won’t. He walks away. Then the tour guide says she has tools with her and we will fix it as soon as we are out of town. Me: (loudly) Nope. I paid for a service and I expect to get it. The guy finally comes and says he has to get a wrench. He comes back with the wrong wrench and has to get another. He turns the wrench to loosen the saddle moves it up one notch and I tell him that’s where I want it. It would have been so easy just to do that In The first place. Bite me, you lazy jerk! (Complaint no.1) So we head out past the harbor and into the National Park. We stopped after about 2 miles to adjust seats etc., then we started riding through a beautiful forest. The Trails are pretty flat, with a couple of small hills here and there, but nothing dramatic. Nobody had any problems getting up any of the inclines. The tempo started off well. Everyone could keep up. Our first stop was at a station where they had a camera trained on a sea eagle’s nest. We looked around for a little bit, used the bathrooms and then rode on. These place is called the sea flats for a reason. There’s a gazillion little lakes and a lot of marshy swamp in between. We climbed a couple of outlook tours along the way and just enjoyed the beautiful landscape. We stopped in a hamlet named Boek for lunch. I had a great goulash soup. I looked in a couple of churches and we just generally rode through a refreshingly undeveloped area that wasn’t full of a lot of tourist traps. We got back to Waren at about 4:30 and everybody did their own thing till 6:00. I bought myself a map of the area since the tour didn’t provide any map material for the riders. (Complaint no.2) Then I walked back to the hotel with one of the other ladies and we locked the bikes up in the shed at the hotel. After a great shower and some rest, we met at 6:30 and all went to a restaurant together. We decided that would eat dinner together, but always in a difference place that the tour guide picks out. She’s been here before so she is familiar with the good restaurants. Now we’re in for the night. We did about 35 miles today so we are all tired. Tomorrow it will be about 40. The guide says some of the paths tomorrow will be narrow so we will have to ride carefully. Today was a good ride. I’m looking forward to another one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment