Saturday, April 14, 2018

The boat lesson that wasn’t and the lazy day that was.

Geez, these people always get always get their knickers in a twist when a VIP visits the school. They told me on Tuesday that they wanted me to make something big out of cardboard with the kids to show the guests when they come. They told me I would have to take the kids out early. They told me the people would come at 10 a.m. OK, so I spend two days planning and cutting the cardboard so that it will look like a gigantic boat. I make lesson plans that build up to the main event. So we do everything the way the administration requests, I’m reading a story which is part of the build up to the boat, and don’t the people walk in, stand in my doorway while I’m reading the story, and walk back out again. They didn’t even bother to look at our boat! But the kids liked it. They got to “row” up the river and on Monday they are going to paint half of it blue and half of it green. It was a tie vote between blue and green so I decided to do half and half.
I had a good English lesson later with Lorene at Kofein. It was a real pleasure to use and explain adult expressions in English! It’s getting monotonous saying, “Napkin,please,” and “Clean up your toys.” It’s so nice having adult conversations.
This morning I cleaned up and waited for Sonia to call so I could do my bike ride.  I watched Real Time with Bill Maher and worked on my puzzle for awhile. Sonia got a message to me that she couldn’t make it, so I took a nice walk in the woods behind the school. The paths are still covered with snow, but the birds were singing, I heard woodpeckers, and the sun was shining. It was good to get out in the fresh air.
After a Skype to Germany I took off on the tram to IKEA. I had been thinking about getting a couple of small tables as night tables and figured, as long as I’m going to stay one more year, I might as well go out and get them now. I found two nice little ones and dragged them home on the tram. They weren’t actually heavy in the store, but they certainly got heavy carrying them from the tram stop to the apartment. And they were awkward to carry. But they are together and they are holding my stuff so it’s all good.
Tomorrow the guy from school is going to come with an electrician and check my wash machine. I hope it’s an easy fix. I’ve got a big pile of dirty clothes. After he’s gone, I’ll do my bike ride so Sonia can tape it.

No comments:

Post a Comment