Friday, April 6, 2018

I am a fire hazard!

I have been back to school since Wednesday and have been riding my bike everyday. It was good to see everyone again and the kids are speaking so much English now! And I’ve been very good about riding my bike everyday.
So, what a surprise when I get home yesterday and the concierge at the front door looks at me sternly. She wants to know when I got back from vacation. I tell her I got back Monday, and without a smile or anything tells me I can’t keep my bike in the hallway of the 5th floor in front of my apartment. Hmmmm, I’ve been doing it for 7 months now. What’s the problem? And my landlady who owns the apartment told the guy from school right at the beginning that she didn’t want me to put the bik in the apartment. So I ask the concierge what I’m supposed to do with my bike and she says to put it my apartment!!! Right. So, the landlady is out of the country for another month and a half.  I can get away with it for six more weeks. I’ve taped a plastic bag to the floor as a parking spot. I’ll probably go out tomorrow and look for a tarp.
But, what do I do when the landlady comes back and does another inspection? Maybe I’ll have to make sure the bike is at school during that time and the tarp is rolled up and put away. Oh, crap. Just what I needed.
So, I had the guy from school call the concierge and ask what was behind this new policy because if she told me I hadn’t understood it. It turns out that managers all over Russia are reacting belatedly to the fire tragedy at that mall in Siberia where 65 people died. They don’t want it to happen in there buildings. My bike, however, was not blocking any doors wand was chained up against a wall. I’m hoping I can get this all worked out.
It was good to get back to school this week. The kids are progressing so well. I hope they keep it up over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment