Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Mud and the Paw Paw Tunnel.

These are what my legs looked like on todays's ride. It was so muddy. I have nothing against mud per se, but i could picture myself wiping out and breaking various body parts then trying to crawl to the nearest farmhouse for help. But all went well in the mud dept. But let me start with a recap of yesterday. I forgot to mention that I met a guy from switzerland at the Continenyal Divide. He had come from chicago on a Bike Friday. They are great folding bikes. Also met a navy vet who bought a green house on Green St. And wants to turn it into a B&B. So, to start today, Keith and Britta had to take Keith's buke in for repairs so I started out ahead of the. About 10 miles out on this muddy, poorly surfaced trail I see a couple standing there who had been in the hotel with me. We start up a conversation and it turns out they are from -drum roll- Spencerport,NY!! yes, our own Spencerport. So we rode the whole day together after that. Turns out we have the same hotels tonight and tomorrow night.  
But before I ran into them a woman in an orange tank top passes me. I run into her again about two miles later scared to go any farther because some geese are on the trail. We vand together and go side by side with our bikes between us and the animals until they retreat into the water. Turns out she is Orla from Ireland, her friend Karen is up ahead, thet have come from San Fran in 43 days. Average 100 mi a day and only one day of rest. Wow. I had eaten a good breakfast and packed a bagel with cream cheese, so pete, sue and I didn't stop for lunch. At about 3  we stop at Bill's in Little Orleans for ice cream (We almost missed the sign and there's not much along the way now.) Pete is eating a fried baloney sandwich when Orla walks in. She had changed inner tube but it was slowly leaking. She needed a new tire. Just had to keep pumping air until she got to Hancock. About 10 mi before Hancock we pick up the paved Western MD Rail Trail. What a relief after all the mud, gravel and tree roots of the C&O Canal Path. Made it in, find the hotel and get a text from Keith that they have also arrived and are at Buddy Lou's. Pete and Sue didn't want to go back into town so they walked to restaurant across the St. I went back in and Orla and her friend Karen were also there. Karen had bought Orka a new tire and taken it 8 mi back to her. Those two had a wicked sense of humor. Both are PE teachers in Ireland. Had a great dinner of crabcake sandwich with Keith and Britta. No sittingoutside my room writing this and waiting for my laundry to get down. I didn't have anything clean after today's ride. Tomorrow breakfast at 7 then we will hit the trail. Keith and Britta want to ride with us. Saw so many deer today I lost count. Also saw turtles and my first snake. Oh my, I forgot the Paw Paw Tunnel. 3118 ft long. Have tobwalk it through with lights on and no sunglasses because tunnel and towoath are cut through the side of a mountain. Amazing feat of engineering. It was overcast again most of the day so it was pleasant riding weather-wise. All in all, another great day with great people to ride with. Oh, I also forgot the feogs. Lots of frogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment