Thursday, August 4, 2016

Killer day

I am exhausted. We ate breakfast at 7 and were on the road at about 7 30. We stopped at Britta and Keith's campground but they weren't ready to go yetvso we took off. The first 10 miles were paved so that was a dream start. After that it was back to the puddles, mud, gravel and tree routes on the towpath.  My bike got so dirthyvagain today i had to wash it before i could take it into the motel room. Did that last night too. We got to mile 105 and there was a gigantic tree which had fallen across the trail. And I mean big. I had to take the saddlebags off and throw them over the log and try to push the bike around the routes. Pete, Sue and i all mafe it with no damage. We pedalled on to williamsport where I reported the fallen tree at the national Park SErvice, the we pedalled into town for an 11 pizza lunch. These towns are really attuned to bike tourism. We heard the the waitress was instructed to immediately bring a glass of water to any cyclist who came in. We talked with another cyclist there who had ridden along with orla and karen, the irish women, for awhile. He said he couldn't keep up. Meanwhile keith and britta wete always behind us. We ran into Brad and Bruce with serious tire problens. Pete was able to help them figure it out befire we keft them . the picture is a lovely portion of the ttail you uswd ro have to detour aeound until the built this terrace along to side of the Potomac by Big Slackwater. The concept reminds me a little of tourning piint park. We had to climb a serpentine to get up to the bridge over the river to Shepherdstown WVA for ice cream at about 3. Then we slogged back to the trail to continue to Harper's ferry. We finally arrived exhausted and found we had to carry backs and gear up the steps on a railroad trestle to get into town. Just what I needed!! We find the motel on the map and head in that direction. It was farther out than we thought so we called the motel and she sent us in another direction so we didn't have to ride a busy road. Problem was, the other way was 2 miles uphill! Yikes. So we grabbed a bite to eat in town and got into the motel at 8 15. I said my good-byes to Pete and Sue who are heading directly into DC tomorrow. We will definitely keep in touch. Keith and Britta texted. They are camping 3 miles out of town. We will meet tomorrow morning in Harper's ferry for breakfast. I will have a short day tomorrow so I will have time to sightsee with them before I take off. Man, am I pooped today. Did I mention that Brad and Bruce made it in to Harper's ferry the same time we did?

No comments:

Post a Comment