Saturday, October 20, 2018

The next busy weekend

Wow, where did the week go? How did I get to the next weekend so quickly. Classes were good this week. One little boy told me he wouldn’t let a classmate look through his binoculars because she wiped her face with her dress. Boy, do we have problems! But Wednesday the class had a visit from a UNESCO official. It seems that we applied to be a UNESCO school. Basically, it means we can apply for grants and participate in different programs. So I guess they come and observe classes occasionally.  We were doing a lesson on shapes which went well, so I guess we’re OK until the next visit.
Tuesday I gave a presentation to the Junior Rotary about teaching English in Kazan. It was a small group just basically interested in how foreigners manage in the city. We ended up having a nice, intimate discussion.
Then, I made another pizza this week and had Sonia over for dinner. We hadn’t been able to really sit down for awhile and gab, so it was good to catch up on all the information we each had. Tomorrow we’re going to head out and do some shopping.  And, the pizza was good, by the way. Love that new oven!!!
Thursday night, against my better judgement, I did go back to the couch surfing meeting. This time it was in a really neat coffee bar where you didn’t have to crawl over 10 people every time you wanted to get up and go to the bathroom. And no long introductions! I met a couple of new people that I will stay in touch with, so it was worth it to go back.
Oho! And here’s a piece of news. The school has decided to finally pay us a portion of our salaries as direct deposit. To that end, they opened accounts for all employees (Me included, without my knowledge!) at the crappy bank they opened my first account in last year before I had to switch banks. I told them to go screw themselves. I’ve got a bank I can deal with in English now and where the employees are friendly and helpful. If they think I’m going to deal with that other bank again, they are out of their minds. Just keep paying me in cash. I don’t care. But just keep paying me.
Last night I went to one of my student’s homes for dinner. I’d been there before. The mom cooked a wonderful meal and we had lots of fun talking. Funny, but the first thing the kid showed me when we got into the apartment was the broken toilet seat. The parents almost died of embarrassment.
Tonight I’m headed out to another family dinner. The mom also happens to be a colleague and they speak English to the kids at home, so the kid is really good. I’m getting some great rice pilaf tonight and I’m hungry already just thinking about it.
Tomorrow I’m going to breakfast with Anna and then out to do some shopping with Sonia. I got some shopping and studying in today, and want to do the same tomorrow. Plus, I have to get my lesson plans done. Next week will be our “pumpkin party” (or substitute for Halloween) so I want to come up with some good projects. Ok, I have to get ready, so will write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment