Thursday, October 4, 2018

City club

Sonia and I got the whole gang to go to City Club last night, which was held this month on a Wednesday. Jake, Paul , Jennifer, Sonia and I all took the 30 bus to the opera house (I used my new transportation card.) and walked about 5 minutes from there. It was a really small little bar and we were all jammed in. I met lots of new people and had fun catching up with the people I had met before.
Jake is a dyed-in-the-wool Liverpool fan and I had told him I would watch the game with him last night, so we cut out at about 9:30 with Paul to go to Jake’s favorite sports bar. Paul went straight home and we walked over to the Home Bar. There were two people in the bar when we got there and 4 TVs turned to the Barcelona-Tottenham game. Jake asked the barkeeper if we could turn on the Liverpool game. The barkeeper refused because the other two customers had requested the Barcelona game. So we’re telling the guy, “But you have 4 TVs in this tiny little bar. You mean you can’t  change the channel on just one of them? Those two guys can have the other 3 TVs, for all we care.” “Nope. The TVs are all coordinated to one system and what you watch on one, you have to watch on all.” Hmmmmm. Ok. So the Barcelona game wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t what Jake wanted to see. He’s checking out new bars close to the apartment building. He’s got to see Liverpool. It’s an addiction for him. We finally got home at about 12:30.
Jake, Paul and Jen all seem to be doing a good job and fitting in very well. In fact, Jake will start giving English lessons to the Russian staff this week. And Russian lessons are going to be offered to the English speakers twice a week. I’m going to pass on those because I’m at a slightly higher level than the newbies so I really don’t have to sit and relearn the alphabet.
Tonight is couch surfing club, the club where there’s as much Russian spoken as English. I think it will be Sonia, Jake ,Jenn and me who are going. Paul opted out.
We’re talking about professions now with the kids. Today lesson was about entomologists so we got to look at a bunch of neat bugs. In fact, I didn’t even get to finish the lesson, so we’ll continue it tomorrow. We’ll read about and make The Very Hungry Caterpillar and use a magnifying glass. I’m still trying to come up with a theme for next week. I still have the weekend to think about it.
Oh, and did I mention already that they are installing a new hot water meter in my apartment? The first Sunday morning I stayed home and the electrician and the landlady were here for 5 minutes when the decided they needed new parts and left. The next Sunday they came again, decided they n ended more new parts, stayed for 5 minutes and left. Today I came home from school while the children were sleeping. The landlady and the electrician came and worked for 45 minutes and then told me to be in the apartment tomorrow at 1, because he still had to work on it more. Really?  I’m glad the kids take long enough naps and I have two assistants so I can sneak out for an hour.  This is getting ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment