Sunday, October 14, 2018

The busy weekend

Friday night I went downtown to a drawing class with Madina. There was the teacher, the model , Madina and me. And it happened to be in the time cafe where Sonia was meeting with her Spanish compatriots. We were totally surprised to run into each other. (Remember the time cafes? You pay according to how long you stay, not according to what you drink.) The lesson itself was so-so. The teacher explained things nicely, but my drawings still looked crappy. Drawing just isn’t my cup of tea. Saturday morning I got the apartment cleaned, then the international bunch went downtown to the hockey match. It turned out be be pretty exciting. We won 5-1 and the dad of my student scored the second goal. Hooray. The game was over at 7:15 and I had planned on doing a part of that night ride through Kazan. But I just sort of pooped out after the game and decided against it. Paul was hungry and dying for some Georgian food so we headed down the street to the branch of the Georgian restaurant that is near the stadium. Lordy, we stuffed ourselves. I had tomato soup with shrimp, lamb shashlik and grilled mushrooms . It was a good thing we had to walk a way to the metro station because I was becoming totally lethargic. On the walk to the metro, we passed a Mexican restaurant that we hadn’t know was there. Now we have a new destination to head for.
After a good night’s sleep, I got up and listened to Wait, Wait... and watched Real Time with Bill Maher, did a wash and headed out to met Anna for lunch. We headed for the French restaurant up on Gorky Street. She had salmon covered with slices of zucchini and I had the stuffed cabbage leaves covered with whipped cream. I didn’t expect then to be like that. I’ve had them before in other restaurants and they had been covered in a tomato sauce. I actually prefer them with the tomato sauce.
Lesson plans are done. The kids wanted to know if they could wash and hang up clothes again. So tomorrow I will take my socks in. We always playing a game of counting socks when we get them ready to go outside or go to bed. So I figure they can count and match my socks tomorrow before we “wash” them. And hanging up a sock at a time will be easier for them than trying to clothespin a t-shirt.
Sonia’s going to over in a little while to help me prepare a presentation for Tuesday. Madina asked me to speak to the Young Rotary group about teaching English in Kazan so I’m going to put a couple of slides together of the classroom and just talk about Rochester a little bit. I’m not going to make a big deal of this. It was a last minute request.

No comments:

Post a Comment