Saturday, October 6, 2018

Sonia’s birthday

Thursday Sonia and I went to the couch surfing gathering. They had 20 or so people around one big table and you really couldn’t converse with anyone, it was just too noisy. Then Mahmoud, the leader of the whole thing, decides everyone should introduce him/herself. Mahmoud decides that the person on my right should start and then it goes around to the person to her right. It gets to be 10 pm and they’re still only halfway around the table. Screw this. I’m not waiting for another 45 minutes to say, “Hi, my name is Karen. I’m from America and I teach English in Kazan.” I had school the next day!
So, I am sort or bummed out on the couch surfing group now.
Friday after school I went downtown to meet a mom who wants me to give her 4-year-old daughter
 English lessons. The kid was born in the States but lives back in Kazan now and mom is afraid she will lose all her English . I said I would give it a try, but gave no guarantees. The kid seems to be a little wild. If I have to spend my time making her mind, it’s not worth it.
Today is Sonia’s birthday. I went and picked up her present last night before I met the mom and the little girl. This morning I made pizza dough and I will take a homemade pizza over to the party tonight. I went out shopping for a few things this morning. I rode the bike down to the big Ashan grocery store about a half hour away. I just wanted a nice, long ride. I got everything and was headed back home when I heard someone call me. It was Sonia, who had also been out shopping. So I pushed the bike the rest of the way home with her and waited for her while she got a few more things.   Now it’s just study time until the party. And tomorrow is going to be another stay at home, lazy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment