Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Welcome to Moscow, part 2.

The escalators in the Moscow subway are just as steep and endless as I remember them from 50 years ago. But let me start at the beginning. This morning I tried to call the hotel to ask about it’s shuttle service from the airport. They refused to speak to me about it. They said that, since I had booked a package deal through Expedia, I would have to make any further arrangements through Expedia. Screw that. I had already looked into the express train from the airport and had printed out a map of the subway system to know what transfers I would have to make. It worked out great. The trick is to memorize the name of the last station of the line of the direction you have to go in so that you get on the train in the right direction.

The subway stations are beautiful. I remember being impressed all those years ago. But the number of people could give you a panic attack. At one point we were literally moving at a crawl for about 500 feet until we got to the escalators. You couldn’t move left or right or back. It was really weird. since I’m so short, I couldn’t even see where I was going and just had to follow the jacket in front of me.

It wasn’t a long walk to the hotel but I missed the entrance because I should have walked under an arch into a courtyard. I wouldn’t have figured that out if a lady on the street hadn’t explained it to me. After I checked in, I went to an Italian restaurant around the corner. I thought it was going to be a little hole in the wall, but it was really big and had a piano player. It wasn’t a great pizza, but I am full. The crust wasn’t baked enough for me.

The hotel room is small and not bad, as you can see from the pictures. I’m close to a subway station and not too far from Red Square. I’ll get a multi-entrance subway ticket tomorrow and see what I can see.

Damn, this TV station is trying hard to convince the viewers that Russia did not influence the election in last November.

No comments:

Post a Comment