Saturday, November 11, 2017

Go, Unics Kazan, part 2.

So, Emma, Sonia and I went to the Unics Kazan bastball game tonight. The name is pronounced “uniques” and not “eunuchs”. What a great game. On the Kazan team there was a guy from Gabon, a Spaniard, a Nigerian-Canadian and several Americans. The league’s motto is “One league - one language: basketball”. During their warm-ups, the Kazan players even do yoga poses! After a sloppy first half, we got our stuff together and pulled out an exciting win. There was a nice atmosphere in the arena. Sonia and I headed home after the game and Emma headed out to her dance class.

We took a bus home, which reminded us why the subway and the tram are preferable. Lordy, traffic is so bad in Kazan and people drive like bats out of hell. You’d better find a route where you only have to turn right. I can’t begin to explain what a left turn looks like here, but it isn’t pretty, especially if it involves crossing tram tracks.

In the morning Sonia and I had been shopping. I needed some stuff for next weeks’s projects and Sonia needed a scrapper for her ceramic stove. We found both -.PLUS, Sonia find a screen for her phone and a really great stereotypical Russian hat with the ear flaps to keep her warm during the winter. It’s really gorgeous.

We stopped in a bookstore in the plaza we were at and asked the guy if they had any books in English. They did, but they were only the classics. On the way out the guy told us about another shopping center that has a bookstore with lots of literature in English. That’s going to be on of my goals tomorrow. Plus, I bought a ticket to go see the movie Mathilda tomorrow. It’s only in Russian with no subtitles, but I really want to see it. It’s about an affair one of the czars had with a ballet dancer. Will fill you in more tomorrow.

It snowed this morning while we were underway, but it warmed up over the course of the day. So by the time we took off for the basketball game, it had gotten slightly milder. It still does not mean that it was warm, however.

I’m getting excited that I will be able to Skype with my work buddies in the States. It’s party night for them and I’ll be able to talk with them all. But I have to be up at 0 dark 3 a.m. to do it. SO YOU ALL HAD BETTER BE APPRECIATING MY EFFORTS.  😁👍 And don’t expect me to be too alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment