Sunday, November 19, 2017

Shopped till I dropped.

Oh my. I didn’t start out to spend money today. I cleaned the apartment this morning in preparation for the landlady’s meter-reading inspection tomorrow. Then I had to get some supplies for projects this week , so Sonia and I went into town. We went to the craft supply shop at the big plaza. Sonia was impressed. I got the few things I needed and then we took the escalator down. And what did we spy one the next level? A Sportmaster store.
 Sonia had been looking for some crampons for her shoes. Being from Spain, she is not at all used to dealing with icy surfaces and is afraid she’s going to fall flat on her face and break something. We found some in this Sportmaster. As long as we were there, I figured I would look for a warmer winter coat. I’ve been told it’s not unusual to hit -22 degrees F. here in winter. I found a nice, long jacket that really keeps me warm. Sonia also found some snow pants. Then I ended up getting a couple of coffee cups at the grocery store in the mall because two of mine had broken. Plus, we ate fast food at Burger King. We’ve decided it’s not good when we go out together! All we do is spend money.

On the way home, we stopped in the little grocery store in our complex. A lady approached us and asked if we gave English lessons. Her family wants to move to Australia and they need to work on their English. I wouldn’t mind picking up another private student or two.

Then the international staff started texting back and forth. We had wanted to do a get-together and decided to do it this Thursday for Thanksgiving. I decided to do Sauerbraten. Now all I have to do is run out and find all the ingredients tomorrow and start marinating. I hope I can turn up all the spices. It will be a really eclectic meal; something Spanish, something British, something Russian, something Indian and something German. And not a turkey in sight.

Tuesday I’m going to the Tatar theater. They perform Tatar classics there. They speak in Tatar, then they translate it into Russian and after that they translate it into English. So the same joke gets three different laughs. I suspect it’s similar to what we know in Germany as Bauerntheater (farmers’theater or country theater).

OK. Enough for now. I’ve got to get up early tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment