Thursday, August 31, 2017

New York City - What an adventure!

What a hectic day yesterday. The invitation to work, which I needed for my visa application, arrived at 11 a.m. Tuesday. Finished the application, made bus reservations and went to chris and Chenoa's to  visit. Played with Alastair for two hours then sat around and talked until chris took me to the Megabus at 10:20 p.m. The bus left at 10:50. I rested of course, but really couldn't sleep well. We arrived in NYC at 6:30 a.m. The visa office didn't open until 9 so I found a bagel and coffee shop to kill time in.  (Not like there aren't a gazillion of them in NYC!)

I got to the visa center right at 9. I got a very nice lady who processed my papers and told me I would get the visa within three business days. Yikes!!! I told her I needed it today but there was nothing she could do. But I did pay big bucks so she could expedite it by mail. She said I'd get it Saturday morning. So I went to the McDonald's at Penn Station and called Finnair to postpone the flight again. Now, if all goes well, I should be on a plane on Sunday and arrive in Kazan on Saturday. Assuming all goes well.

So, after yesterday morning, I had an entire day to kill in NYC waiting for my 6:50 p.m. Bus back to Rochester.  I walked a lot, but was pretty tired from the overnight bus ride so I went to the public library and just hung out. I got all my messaging and texting done and could let everyone know what was happening. Then I walked down to the bus stop, which is near the High Line, a reclaimed elevated train track used now as a city park and walking trail. What a phenomenal idea and an ingenious repurposing of something out of use. There were hundreds of people walking on the trail in the half hour I spent there.

And it struck me that NYC cyclists are fearless. They mix it right up in traffic and don't give any ground. Many ride without helmets. This is a tough  bunch!

Got on the bus and had another unrestful night. Chris picked me up at 2:45 a.m. And I went home and sacked out. Just putzing around cleaning this morning and plan on doing one more Rochester Slow Ride this evening.



Now all I can do is wait for Saturday's mail!




No comments:

Post a Comment