Friday, June 14, 2019

Couch surfing last night

There was a couch surfing meeting last night which I’m glad I went to. There weren’t many people there, but the ones who were, were really remarkable. I ended up in a discussion with a small group, included one Uzbeki, two Algerians, two Russians and myself. We went two and a half hours, non-stop. The remarkable thing was that this group of young men in their twenties was one of the most aware and politically knowledgeable group of young people I had every meet. There was no comparison to the bunch of drunken airheads we ran into on the beach on Wednesday. These guys really understood politics and sociology, and the mixture of such diverse cultural experiences entering into the conversation was really refreshing.  Sometimes, just when you think there’s no hope for the future, you have an experience like this one.
Today it’s, cold and nasty.  I’ve  been doing orchestra instruments with the kids this week. We made little “harmonicas” out of tongue depressors and paper today, so we’ve maintained a high level of noise.
Tomorrow we’re going to have a picnic in the woods with just about everyone we know. I’m glad we’re renting a shelter because I bet it’s going to pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment