Sunday, July 31, 2016

Two great days

The drive down was great. Overcast the whole way. Very pleasant to drive.we made a quick stop at Angola then at lunch Arb At Arby's in Erie. We turned East before Pittsburgh and ran into some serious mountains in the Laural Highlands. We learned not to trust the GPS. as we got closer to the campsite it sent us down to dirt roads with grades of about 35 degrees. On the one, a guy had to turn the car around for us to get us back up the hill. We finally got to the campsite and set up for the night. We cooked a great porkchop dinner and went to bed early. This morning Mary Ellen drove me to the Hot Teal Bridge where I started. We saw a flock of wild turkeys on the way to Pittsburgh. The day was overcast when I started. It was great because it wasn't too hot. Met a guy named Paul who rode over the bridge with me and helped me find the way. Everything was pages until mcKeesport, then stonedust. Sometimes almost Sandy. And it goes gradually up hill the whole way! It's not bad enough to make the ride difficult. It's just annoying because it looks like the trail will never end. I stopped in Boston and West Newton today. The path is line the whole way with historical markers.it's The area has such an interesting industrial history. And the path is shaded most of the way. On the left is the river and on the right the exposed stones of the mountains the railways blasted away. Met a lot of nice people, some of whom helped me with directions to the motel, which of course on a bust road. Tomorrow I went to leave early so I don't hit too much traffic when I head back into town. Man, I should sleep well tonight. It was 60 miles today. Tomorrow I will ride the 17 miles to ohiopyle where I will meet Mary Ellen and will will visit Frank Lloyd Wright's falling water before I continue to rockwood. I will sleep well tonight.
k

No comments:

Post a Comment